EDIT: No cameras here

The Custom and Border Protection Agency has been receiving heat for its policy that prohibits the public from taking photos near U.S. ports of entry. The American Civil Liberties Union recently sued the federal government over the policy, which it argued is unconstitutional, according to The Los Angeles Times Friday.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of two activists who were trying to document possible human rights abuses at California-Mexico border crossings. The activists reported being taken into custody and having their photos discarded by U.S. authorities, according to The L.A. Times.

It makes sense the government would prohibit people from taking photographs because some photographs might expose weak spots in border control. Terrorists could use the information conveyed in those photographs to smuggle people or materials across the border.

However, terrorists are probably going to circulate that information whether or not there is a no-photo policy in place. Chances are, someone who is intent on bringing people or materials into the U.S. is going to employ some tactic less conspicuous than snapping a photograph of border agents. He or she might simply communicate information through word of mouth, on paper or in some other way.

If the government was really concerned about improving defense, there are other more invasive measures they could take. For instance, they could increase border patrols. More patrols could mean fewer illegal activities fall through the cracks.

The policy also prevents activists and journalists from recording possible human rights abuses at those sites. What if patrols were racially profiling people at the border? The government’s handling of the border should not go unchecked.

It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit pans out. Our borders do need to be made more secure, but activists and reporters should not be banned from accurately relaying what goes on there.

1. CBP officers are worried about their faces exposed while working. However at the point of entry videos by DHS are made showing their faces and the videos are played on National Geo and YouTube touting drug bust, smuggled money, fraudulent and/or use of forged documents, apprehending undocumented immigrants crossing the border illegally and list goes on.

Many of these videos shows the insides of the port of entry more sensitive areas that is normally seen by the general public. I have even found photos are posted on the CBP website showing the inspections areas it is pre-primary, primary and/or secondary on the Internet.

If the CBP, BP, ICE are engaged in illegal activities and abuses; those illegal activities should be documented with cell phones, cameras and sound recording devices. Otherwise those illegel activites and abuses would be covered up by the CBP, BP, ICE and others with DHS.