Sports, Track and Field

Track and field’s Katie Matthews named America East Woman of the Year

Graduate student Katie Matthews of the Boston University track and field team was named the 2013 America East Woman of the Year at the conference awards banquet Tuesday night.

The award is given in recognition of the top female student-athlete in terms of achievement in academics, athletics, leadership and service.

The Rocky Hill, Conn., native has had a successful year on the track, becoming the first BU woman to earn two All-America selections in a single season. The All-American nods came after Matthews competed in the 3,000m and 5,000m run at the NCAA Indoor Championships. She will compete Wednesday night in the 10,000m run at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Ore.

Off the track, Matthews excelled as well, serving for three years on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. She has also participated in BU’s College for Every Student program and volunteered for the American Cancer Society, Lupus Foundation and Special Olympics.

Matthews earned a 3.94 grade-point average this year while pursuing a master’s degree in speech-language pathology from Sargent College. She is a five-time member of the America East Commissioner’s Honor Roll and a three-time member of the America East All-Academic team. She also was named an America East Scholar-Athlete this year in addition to receiving a Scarlet Key, one of BU’s top academic honors.

Matthews is now eligible for the 2013 NCAA Woman of the Year award, which will be determined by the NCAA Woman of the Year selection committee.