Sports, Tennis

Tennis team successful at UConn

The Boston University men’s tennis team continued its successful fall season Sunday with an appearance at the University of Connecticut Invitational in Storrs, Conn. The three-day invitational included players from UConn, Quinnipiac University, University of Hartford, Sacred Heart University, Merrimack College and Bryant University. At the conclusion of the tournament, BU boasted a total of nine finals appearances and five flight titles.

BU posted a 20-6 (.769) record in singles play with four athletes, including three freshmen, winning a title in their respective flights.

Freshman Mario Sandoval defeated Quinnipiac junior Sebastian Barbero 6-3, 7-6(3) in the No. 4 singles flight, then went on to beat Sacred Heart senior Kevin Budrawich 1-6, 7-5, 10-8 and Bryant junior Josh Rubinstein 6-4, 7-6(2) to capture the win.

In the No. 5 singles flight, freshman Jay Leelavanich won matches against Quinnipiac sophomore Luke Roser 6-0, 6-2, UConn freshman Parker Goldstein 6-3, 6-4 and Bryant sophomore Munir Serin 6-2, 6-3 to emerge victorious in his flight.

Junior Emilio Teran beat UConn sophomore Andrew Ginzberg 6-4, 6-3 and Quinnipiac sophomore Allain Grullon 6-3, 6-1 before defeating UConn sophomore Zac McEntee 6-3, 6-0 for the victory.

In the No. 7 spot, freshman Lucas Bombonatti defeated Sacred Heart junior Ryan Wennberg 6-0, 6-1 and Bryant freshman Cory DiPaola 6-3, 5-7, 10-4, then beat his teammate, freshman Jake De Vries, 6-3, 7-5 to win his flight. De Vries had beaten Hartford freshman Morgan White 6-1, 6-0 and Qunnipiac freshman Ryoma Haraguchi 6-4, 6-7, 10-7 before falling to Bombonatti in the final round.

Sophomore Stefan Lemire reached the final of the No. 3 singles flight, beating Hartford freshman Juan Molina 6-2, 6-2 and Sacred Heart sophomore Matt Dean 6-3, 6-1, but fell in the final round to Quinnipiac junior Eric Ambrosio 6-2, 6-0.

Seniors Chanon Varapongsittikul and Jesse Frieder won the consolation round in each of their singles flights and combined to win the No. 1 doubles flight, defeating pairs from Merrimack, Sacred Heart and UConn with a combined score of 24-15.

Sandoval and sophomore Brandon Phan also reached a doubles final, beating pairs from Quinnipiac and Bryant by identical scores of 8-4 before falling to a UConn duo by a score of 8-3.

DeVries and Leelavanich received a first round bye in the C doubles flight and beat a pair from UConn before falling to Quinnipiac in the final.

BU will next be in action as it travels to Smithfield, R.I. to take on Bryant.