Collier, Carrabino cut from BU men’s hockey roster

Freshman forward Brendan Collier and redshirt sophomore defenseman J.D. Carrabino have been cut from the Boston University men’s hockey team, a team source confirmed with the Boston Hockey Blog.

BU head coach David Quinn told The Daily Free Press on April 24 he would cut an unspecified number of returning players prior to the start of the 2014-15 season. The NCAA has no limit on how many players can be on a hockey roster, but things were getting a bit crowded in the Terrier locker room — with a large incoming recruit class, including the announcement of the addition of defenseman Brandon Fortunato on Tuesday, the roster would have been at 31 players.

“One of the things I have told every guy is that I base guys’ opportunities here based on, ‘Can you help us win national championships?’” Quinn said on April 24. “Not just athletically, but socially and academically. It’s a three-part equation. When there is a coaching change, that is where those decisions come in.

“This is everybody’s first taste of hockey where you either get it done or you don’t and you don’t survive. That’s the hard part of the job, that’s the hard part of transition and that’s the hard part of change. Unfortunately there will be some changes.”

Collier, a seventh-round pick (189th overall) for the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2012 NHL Draft, appeared in 28 games for the Terriers during the 2013-14 season. His only collegiate goal came on Feb. 17 against the University of New Hampshire, and he had three total assists on the season — one on Dec. 7 against Merrimack College, one on Jan. 17 versus Boston College and another Feb. 7 against the University of Massachusetts-Lowell. He had the only positive plus-minus on the team, with a +1.

Carrabino transferred to BU from Clarkson University and sat out the 2013-14 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Before arriving at BU, the 6-foot-6 blueliner played in just three games in two seasons for the Golden Knights.

No information was available regarding what Collier or Carrabino will do moving forward.