GAGNE-MAYNARD: Barack Obama and the Evolution of Change in Foreign Policy

U.S. President Barack Obama, even by his most staunch and bitter adversaries, has never been doubted for his skill as a public speaker. With a shape-shifting voice capable of giving him a sense of conviction, rationality and passion, Obama is often categorized as the greatest of political orators since John F. Kennedy. Or Ronald Reagan, depending on whom you ask.

Politics and our current domestic and foreign policy situations aside, I challenge any American to watch Obama’s “A More Perfect Union” speech from 2008, considered by many to be the greatest political speech of the decade, and not feel a little patriotic. It is hard not to feel a sense of that much-talked about American optimism when you hear speeches like this. Yet it is easy to feel a little pessimism when you compare the situations that Obama describes in his early speeches and think about how much, or how little, those situations have changed.

President Obama is associated with one word more than any other: “CHANGE.” You saw it on those famous Shepard Fairey Obama 2008 campaign posters. You saw it on t-shirts. You saw it everywhere. It was Obama’s defining phrase, a statement of clear purpose and rarely seen audacity in a political slogan. Yet in many ways, that word has come to symbolize Obama’s ultimate irony and, as both Republicans and Obama supporters (myself included) may agree, the promise that he will never fulfill.

Some say our political system inhibits change. Others contend that change requires a true leader and dire situations to come about. For example, Lincoln and Slavery, Johnson and Civil Rights. So it’s interesting to hear what Obama has to say on the subject. In his 2008 presidential acceptance speech, Obama pitched his entire political mantra as both a break from and recognition of our past.

On the subject of change, Obama said, “For 18 long months, you have stood up, one by one, and said, ‘Enough,’ to the politics of the past. You understand that, in this election, the greatest risk we can take is to try the same, old politics with the same, old players and expect a different result. You have shown what history teaches us, that at defining moments like this one, the change we need doesn’t come from Washington. Change comes to Washington.”

This tactic of responding to new circumstances, of keeping policy organic, of responding to currents of change as they arrive on the domestic and global scene and of departing from the past arrogance, tough talk and poor planning of former presidential administrations, has been labeled by some as “The Obama doctrine.” Often, it can seem as though the clear and overall strategy of the Obama administration in both foreign and domestic affairs is to not have a clear and overall strategy.

Hillary Clinton, likely to run in the 2016 presidential election, is attempting to distance herself from the administration she once was a part of, famously describing the failure of Obama’s strategic outlook, saying “Great nations need organizing principles, and ‘Don’t do Stupid Stuff’ is not an organizing principle.”

Until recently, Obama’s strategy and expressed proclivity for change seemed to be associated more with a policy of inaction, isolation and moderation, in essence avoiding “Stupid Stuff” that we had done in the past. It would be surprising to hear that Obama doesn’t have Iraq, Vietnam and Dick Cheney’s crooked grin in his mind’s eye when making decisions related to foreign policy.

Yet with U.S. limited military strikes on the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and a call for international coalition against jihadism, the treatment of the United Nations as an agent of progress and not as a nuisance to U.S. foreign interests and the startlingly forceful rhetoric Obama has used in the past two weeks in regards to U.S. strategy in the Middle East, Mr. Obama seems to have finally formulated a strategy he can call his own. It is his combined loathe of past wrongdoings and his recognition of the pressing needs of the present that have combined to change Obama’s character as a leader altogether. Finally, it seems as though Obama is making an effort to combine action with guided principle. And that is the greatest change of all.

1. From and interested reader: Thanks for your well written thoughts. You sound like most young people in college, a solid supporter of the Democratic party. Twenty years ago in college, I too was one. As I have experienced life and learned a lot more, I have become a passionate constitutional conservative. It’s because after many years I learned what I never learned in school. I learned basically what compromises American values and why they have presented the world with the most moral, kind and compassionate value system in all of human history. I learned that the Democratic Party does not hold American values. It holds the values of Leftism. And those values in practice ar unkind, mean and destructive especially to our spirits and souls as free strong Americans. Those with Leftist values like Mr. Obama speak in elevated and attractive tones but his values as a Leftist are antithetical to American ones.

Every aspect of American values is fought against by the value system of Leftism. Instead of a small limited constrained State, leftism calls for centralized control over all parts of our lives from what light bulbs we screw into our sockets, to what cars we drive, to what kind of energy we use, to how we educate our children, to how we save for retirement, to what we eat and how we build a business, to whether or not we bake a cake for a same sex wedding, to what kind of healthcare we are allowed to have.

The view of the Leftist is old and worn. It has been on earth since ancient times when Pharos and Caesars arose and anointed themselves “The ones who know best.” It was only with the JudeoChristian value system and then our founders who ascribed to it that stood up against this common enemy of man. It’s our Moses and Jesus and Washington and Madison who stood up and said, “No Caesar ,and no Mr. Obama and Mr. Reid and Ms. Pelosi” we are a free people, we decide what to do with our hard earned money, we decide what doctor we see, we decide if we want to burn coal or build a windmill in our backyard; we decide who needs our charity; we decide how to educate our children. We are strong free Americans.”

Many young people like you remain with Leftist values because you think elite intellectuals in Washington are kind and compassionate and can figure life out for us all. Many, however, grow to understand the beauty of American values. They come to understand that bureaucrats and politicians are not there for us in the end; we must leave utopia and the Earden of Eden and become free strong self-reliant adults . And with adulthood comes great liberty- especially freedom from the controlling State.

You won’t hear such thoughts at most of our universities because they are Leftist intellectual bubbles. For the $170,000 you may be paying for this world view , at least take a bit of time to understand some of the ideas you are abandoning. Check our some 5 minute courses, for example, at the great Prager University. Here are a few. Take care:

Avrum Hirsh

5 minutes: Prager: The core of the American value system: Its trinity

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/The-American-Trinity-2nd-Edition.html#.UmkfrihQNS8

5 minutes: Big Government/ Small citizen

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/Bigger-Government-Smaller-Citizen.html#.VCw8PSg2VS8

5 minutes Prager :Happiness is a moral obligation

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Life-Studies/Happiness-is-a-Moral-Obligation.html#.UmkgfyhQNS8

5 minutes : Government and Character:

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/The-Government-vs-the-American-Character.html#.U9EoASg2VS8

5 minutes: What matters most in life- Values
    http://www.prageruniversity.com/Life-Studies/What-Matters-Most-in-Life.html#.VBG9gyg2VS8

5 minutes: Prager: The welfare state and the selfish society

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/The-Welfare-State.html#.UmkgBChQNS8

5 minutes Brooks/Prager The moral basis of free enterprise:

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/Earning-Happiness.html#.UmkfZihQNS8

@30 minutes: Prager: I used to be a liberal. Why I am now a conservative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9qvBwOeMA&feature=related