Club Sports, Sports

Club Sports Roundup: Club ice hockey earns first league win against Bryant

The BU club ice hockey team defeated Bryant University, PHOTO COURTESY OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY CLUB ICE HOCKEY TEAM
The BU club ice hockey team defeated Bryant University, 5-3, Saturday night. PHOTO COURTESY OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY CLUB ICE HOCKEY

The information in the following Boston University club sport highlights was taken from the BU Club Sports Event Calendar from Sept. 29 to Oct. 6.

Friday, Oct. 3

BU men’s club water polo bests Northeastern, 18-13

The Boston University men’s club water polo team posted a decisive 18-13 victory over Northeastern University Friday night. Graduate student Curtis Hon, who scored five goals in the match, led the Terriers on offense. BU also received contributions from freshman Blake Hallisey and senior George Skoufalos, who added in four and three goals, respectively. A seven-goal third quarter proved to be the difference maker in the match, giving the Terriers a 16-7 lead at the time.

Saturday, Oct. 4

BU club ice hockey earns 5-3 win over Bryant

The Boston University club ice hockey team defeated Bryant University, 5-3, Saturday night, earning their first league victory since joining the Northeast Collegiate Hockey Association during the 2012-13 season. The Terriers started off strong, scoring two goals and recording 30 shots on net in the first period. The Terriers were led by junior forward Lucas Esposito, junior forward Taylor Parkinson and sophomore forward Riley Marotta, each of whom compiled two points in the game.

BU club triathlon participates in Lobsterman Triathlon

The Boston University club triathlon team had a great showing at the Lobsterman Triathlon in Freeport, Maine on Saturday, with the women winning the event by over 200 points while the men finished in second place. The Terriers had five podium finishes in Nick Wendel, Nick Smith, Natalie Tukan, Ellen Witkowski and Morgan Lehman.

BU club cricket finishes fifth in ACC Northeast Regional Championship

The Boston University club cricket team earned a fifth-place finish in the ACC Northeast Regional Championship in Bronx, New York Saturday. The Terriers opened up the tournament with a match against defending champion Ryerson University. Ryerson’s bowlers held BU in check throughout the match, with BU only recording 83 runs. The Ryerson batters put the game away quickly, reaching a score of 84 runs in 14 overs to come away with the victory.

The Terriers fared much better against Temple University, as the BU batters finished with 109 runs in the allotted 18 overs. The great performance from the team’s batters energized the Terrier bowlers, who helped secure the victory by shutting down Temple’s batters en route to the win.

BU men’s club soccer defeats Boston College, 2-1

Facing off against crosstown rival Boston College Saturday, the Boston University men’s club soccer team came away with a 2-1 victory. Twenty minutes into the match, the Terriers put themselves on the scoreboard, as sophomore Issac Dashefsky sent in a cross that was headed in by senior Tom Bray for the score. After Boston College answered with a goal of its own in the second half, BU quickly responded, as graduate student Rahotep Alkebulan notched a goal to put the Terriers up for good.

Sunday, Oct. 6

BU club golf takes fourth place at NCCGA Regionals

The Boston University club golf team earned a fourth-place spot in the National Collegiate Club Golf Association Regionals over the weekend, finishing with a final score of 434-421-855. Peter Gunawan stepped up for the Terriers, finishing fifth with a score of 81-78. Will Livingston followed Gunawan by posting a score of 79-89, good for 17th place.

I spend my days serving as Sports Editor of The Daily Free Press, covering BU Hockey and finding more ways to worship Tom Brady. Previous experience includes covering the Red Sox and Bruins for WEEI.com and writing for South Boston Today. Follow me on Twitter: @ConorRyan_93