Club Sports, Sports

Club Sports Roundup: Club ice hockey records victory over Merrimack

PHOTO COURTESY OF BU EQUESTRIAN CLUB
Senior captain Meghan Kaupp of the BU equestrian club captured a high point rider win in against Boston College on Oct. 26. PHOTO COURTESY OF BU EQUESTRIAN CLUB

The information in the following Boston University club sport highlights was taken from the BU Club Sports Event Calendar from Oct. 20 to Oct. 29.

Friday, Oct. 24

BU club ice hockey earns 4-2 decision over Merrimack

The BU club ice hockey team defeated Merrimack College by a score of 4-2 Friday night, improving to 2-3 and 2-0 in Northeast Collegiate Hockey Association play. The Terriers were led on offense by the line of junior forwards Matt Fineberg, Lucas Esposito and Taylor Parkinson, as Fineberg registered a goal and two assists in the game while Esposito and Parkinson combined for two goals and an assist. Junior forward Mike Gates added to the scoring by way of an empty-net goal against the Warriors. BU was also aided by the efforts of freshman goaltender Joe Kelly, who recorded 32 saves between the pipes.

Saturday, Oct. 25

BU men’s club soccer wraps up season at Regionals

The BU men’s club soccer team traveled down to New Castle, Delaware for National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Regional play. The Terriers opened play on a rough note, falling to the University of Massachusetts-Amherst by a score of 5-1. BU would rebound, however, capturing a 2-0 victory over Johns Hopkins University thanks to goals from Rahotep Alkebulan and defender Trevor Farm. In their final match of the weekend, the Terriers settled for a 1-1 draw with Pennsylvania State University, as H-Soba Vincent scored BU’s only goal against the Nittany Lions. Ultimately, the Terriers finished Regional play with four points — not enough to qualify for the NIRSA playoffs.

BU equestrian club participates at Holy Hill Show Stables

The BU equestrian club had an impressive showing at its event at the Holy Hill Show Stables in Hanover, as junior captain Carly Corbacho earned MVP honors after winning the High Point rider award. The Terriers also dominated in the Open Jumping classes with three victories.

BU men’s club rugby falls to Norwich, 40-10

The BU men’s club rugby team had a tough match against Norwich University on Saturday, as an inexperienced BU corps struggled early against the Cadets, who jumped out to a 23-0 lead after the first half of play. Sophomore Tyler Ostrowski and freshman Numan Aksoy were able to record tries in an attempt to get the Terriers back into the game, but Norwich registered 17 second-half points to seal the 40-10 win. The Terriers will next face off against the University of Vermont on Saturday.

The Boston University women's ultimate clubPHOTO COURTESY OF KEVIN MINNER
The Boston University women’s ultimate club participated in the 2014 Huck-A-Hunk Halloween costume tournament over the weekend. PHOTO COURTESY OF KEVIN MINNER

BU women’s ultimate club takes part in Huck-A-Hunk Tournament

The BU women’s ultimate club made the trek down to Brown University in Providence to participate in the 2014 Huck-A-Hunk Halloween costume tournament. The tournament pitted the Terriers against Northeastern University, Columbia University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York University, Wellesley College and Brown, with BU’s only win coming against NYU in a 10-4 decision.

BU Kendo Club finishes third in Cornell University Kendo Tournament

The BU Kendo Club participated in the 14th annual Cornell University Kendo Tournament in Ithaca, New York with eight members of the club taking part in the tournament, and the A-team earning a third-place finish. Three other BU participants teamed up with Harvard University, but did not advance out of the round robin bracket.

Sunday, Oct. 26

BU women’s club water polo falls in tight contests versus Northeastern, Boston College

The BU women’s club water polo team hosted both Northeastern University and Boston College in a round robin event at BU’s Fitness and Recreation Center. In the first match, the Terriers fell to the Huskies in a close 10-9 decision before later suffering a 7-5 defeat at the hands of the Eagles in their second game of the day. The Terriers were aided by the efforts of Phoebe Katelaris, who scored twice in both games, and senior Kelia Cowan, who registered two goals on the night.

BU equestrian club earns second place in North Gate Farm event

The BU equestrian club put together an impressive performance at its event at North Gate Farms in Sudbury. The Terriers finished in second place behind Boston College, trailing the Eagles by just one point. Captain Meghan Kaupp provided the biggest highlight for BU, seizing a high point rider win.

BU club cricket bested by MIT, 129-128

The BU club cricket team faced off against Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge as part of an American Cricket Conference league match. MIT won the opening coin toss and opted to bowl first. The BU batsmen started strong, ultimately finishing with 128 runs. Meanwhile the BU bowlers, led by Anmol Gandhi, kept MIT in check for most of the match, but in the end, the Engineers won the match after recording 129 runs in 19 overs.

I spend my days serving as Sports Editor of The Daily Free Press, covering BU Hockey and finding more ways to worship Tom Brady. Previous experience includes covering the Red Sox and Bruins for WEEI.com and writing for South Boston Today. Follow me on Twitter: @ConorRyan_93