Protesters rally against Bill Cosby outside Wilbur Theatre

Approximately 30 protesters gathered at The Wilbur Theatre Sunday night to protest comedian Bill Cosby’s originally planned performances, which were canceled due to inclement weather.

Attendees gather in front of the Wilbur Theatre Sunday night in response to a performance by Bill Cosby scheduled to happen there. PHOTO BY MARY SCHLICHTE/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Although the shows were canceled early on Sunday, protesters came out to rally in solidarity with the growing list of women who have publicly accused Cosby of sexual assault in recent months. Civil rights activists, feminists and Socialist groups were among those in attendance.

Protesters stood their ground and huddled together, holding signs and banners condemning rape and Cosby.

Protestors chanted, “Hey! Ho! Bill Cosby has got to go,” and “Rape is not a joke,” throughout the demonstration.

Protesters said they saw the cancelation of Cosby’s show as a victory and an incentive to keep protesting and show their dissent against Cosby.

One of the event organizers, Brandie Skorker, 28, of East Boston, passed out gloves and scarves to help keep her fellow protesters warm in the frigid weather.

“I am a survivor of multiple sexual assaults and rape, and I have never reported any of my sexual assaults because of rape culture and victim blaming,” she said. She said she is now speaking out and protesting in support of all rape victims.

Speaking into a megaphone, Francesca Contreras, 27, of Jamaica Plain, read out a list of Bill Cosby’s shows that have canceled since his alleged rape victims have come forward. She urged people to continue protesting and to continue demanding justice.

“I came here today as an activist and survivor to stand in solidarity with survivors who have come out with stories of sexual assault of drugging and raping by Bill Cosby. Statute of limitation laws are preventing some kind of justice in the legal system from being realized.”

Francesca said Cosby should stand trial and waive the statute of limitation to bring justice. Protesters then began reading testimonies from victims, speaking into megaphones.

Martha Newman, 18, of Brookline, said Cosby needs to step forward and apologize for his actions.

“He made jokes about this,” she said. “That’s really not okay and I really think he needs to quickly acknowledge his actions and apologize.”

One activist among the group, Edmond Schluessel, 36, of Manchester-by-the-Sea, said he blames the police for doing nothing in the face of violence. A member of the Socialist Alternative, he said African Americans and women are facing the same brutality, and no one is doing anything about it.

“I am not liberated until all the women are liberated,” he said. “The Middle class needs to unite against oppression.”