Club Sports, Sports

BU Club Sports Roundup: Club inline hockey sweeps weekend road swing

InlineHockey_PhotoCourtesyOfJaredAngin_NOTDFPSTAFF
Senior captain Bill Schoeninger and the BU club inline hockey team recorded victories in both of their games last weekend. PHOTO COURTESY OF JARED ANGIN

The information in the following Boston University club sport highlights was taken from the BU Club Sports Event Calendar from Feb. 4 to Feb. 11.

Saturday, Feb. 7

BU men’s club ice hockey falls to Endicott, 2-1

With a chance to clinch a playoff spot with a win or a tie, the BU men’s club ice hockey team took on Endicott College. Sophomore defenseman Jack Faso scored the Terriers’ lone goal of the contest, but even with the formidable play of freshman goaltender Joe Kelly, it was not enough to get the job done. With the loss, BU fell to 11-7-1 overall and 6-4 in Northeast Collegiate Hockey Association play, but could still earn a spot in the postseason on a tiebreaker to be determined later.

Third period burst helps BU club inline hockey defeat Binghamton, 4-2

After winning eight of its last nine games in the fall semester, the BU club inline hockey team took to Dracut on Saturday to begin its spring campaign with a two-game stint, the first of which was a noon matchup against Binghamton University. It was not the first time the Terriers had played the Bearcats, as BU earned a 7-1 win over them in October 2014. Binghamton was also at the disadvantage of having just four skaters and a goalie dressed. Neither side could break through for the first two periods, but just 48 seconds into the final frame, the Terriers got things rolling. Junior forward Daniel Phillips scored BU’s first goal, and shortly after, his teammates, including junior forward Nick Breed, added three more to take a 4-0 lead. Binghamton added two goals of its own, but could not climb out of the hole BU put them in. The Terriers improved to 10-3 on the season and were slated to face UMass Amherst later that day.

BU club inline hockey climbs back, beats UMass Amherst, 9-5

In the second game of the day for the BU club inline hockey team, the Terriers were victorious again. When the teams met earlier in the season, the University of Massachusetts Amherst edged BU 3-1, but this game was wide open. The start of the game could have gone better for the Terriers, as they surrendered two power play goals in under two minutes. BU finished the opening frame down 4-1 after allowing a UMass goal with 14 seconds until the buzzer. In the second period, though, BU played like a different team, controlling most of the play and tying the game with three goals throughout the 20 minutes. Starting senior goalie Mark Flitsch stood tall after a shaky first and kept the Terriers on the right track. Early in the third period, with BU on the penalty kill, sophomore forward Jake Strzalkowski took the puck up the rink and beat all four UMass players and the goalie for a shorthanded tally, one of his four goals and five points on the day. The Terriers potted another four goals, making it eight unanswered before UMass scored its fifth and final of the day. With a 9-5 score to its name, BU kept its winning streak alive and effectively ended UMass’s.

BU men’s club volleyball posts 3-1 record in first round of Divisional play

The BU men’s club volleyball team took a trip to Brandeis University to play four games against Dartmouth College, Brandeis University, the University of Vermont and the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The Terriers started with a 2-1 win over Dartmouth, trying to adjust to a new setter and two new players. BU then went on to lose to host Brandeis in two sets, but won its last two games of the day, each in two sets to improve to 3-1.

Nice girl, tries hard, loves the game. Judy covers men's hockey for The Daily Free Press. When she's not writing, she's quoting "Miracle" in conversations and living in a constant in a state of wonder at everything Patrice Bergeron has ever done. Follow her on Twitter at @judylee_c