Wayfinding kiosks installed in Downtown Crossing to guide pedestrians

In a collaboration between the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, the Boston Redevelopment Authority and two design firms, several wayfinding kiosks were placed in Boston’s Downtown Crossing area at the end of January, according to a Wednesday press release.

The Downtown Boston Business Improvement District installed pedestrian wayfinding pillars along Winter and Summer streets as part of an initiative to make the area easier to navigate. PHOTO BY L.E. CHARLES/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Six of potentially 25 wayfinding kiosks were revealed as part of the pilot program, said Brian Pearce, the owner of omloop, one of the two design firms that collaborated to create the program. Pearce said the kiosks were installed just ahead of Winter Storm Juno in late January.

The wayfinding kiosks provide an updated city mapping framework, where passersby can use the “new, clean design” to travel around the Downtown Crossing area, the release stated.

“The purpose was to put something very useful on the street that was very clear and at a glance, you can figure out where you are, where you want to go and where you can get in five minutes,” Pearce said. “It’s really just to create more awareness in the downtown area in particular.”

Pearce said recent increased energy in the downtown area convinced the Business Improvement District, or BID, to invest in the kiosks.

“It’s becoming a real hotspot, and this was just to keep pace with that,” he said.

The kiosks are illuminated to cater to pedestrians who are exploring what Pearce said is now becoming an active Boston nightlife scene.

“The area is becoming more 24/7. It used to be an area where everyone got out of there before dark,” he said. “Now we have new restaurants, the theaters, hotels which go into the late evening, so it was important to have these things illuminated so they became much more of not just a daytime experience but also a nightlife experience.”

Nick Martin, director of communications at the BRA, said the role of residents in the area’s growth led to the subsequent need for more signage.

“The Downtown Crossing area is one that is growing rapidly. There’s a large new residential area going on there,” Martin said in reference to the Millennium Tower, which is currently under construction. “There are a variety of new commercial and retail establishments going up there, so there’s really a lot of energy in Downtown Crossing, and we wanted to make sure that people found it as easy as possible to navigate the area.”

Anita Lauricella, planner and project manager for BID, said the importance of signage lies in Boston’s street plans.

“This isn’t New York. Our streets don’t go in grids, so the intent here is to create a system of signage — a wayfinding system — that would guide anyone who is walking around the district,” she said. “You can have comfort exploring, because you would know that this mapping system is throughout the district.”

Because the project is in its pilot stage, funding estimates are unclear, though funding is coming from BID.

Several residents said the kiosks will be helpful mainly to tourists, but won’t do much for Boston residents.

Josh Savides, 23, of Brighton, said the kiosks should be built as transportation maps to tell people where buses and trains are going.

“It just gives them direction where they’re at. I don’t see a difference from that as opposed to a big sign with a map on it for where the trains are going,” he said “I don’t think it’d be that impactful as far as what it is. It doesn’t sound like anything new.”

Molly Armstrong, 26, of Allston, said the kiosks will be particularly helpful to tourists.

“That’s a great idea. Boston has lots of tourists, people trying to find their way around,” she said. “Boston is kind of notorious for not having the friendliest of residents, so it’s a nice way for people who are coming to the city to explore.”

Mike Carberry, 25, of Allston said that considering the area, guides are necessary for those unfamiliar with Downtown Crossing.

“Putting myself in [a tourists’] shoes, that is kind of a tricky area,” he said. “With all the different one-ways and side streets … it’ll help them get around more and be easier for them to get to where they want to go.”

1. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting. I love reading and I am always searching for information like this.