Walsh honored with Commonwealth Award for the arts

In recognition of his promotion of the arts, the Massachusetts Cultural Council honored Boston Mayor Martin Walsh with the Commonwealth Award for Leadership Tuesday at the Massachusetts State House in front of an audience of approximately 125 people.

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh speaks at a meeting Feb. 5. Walsh received a Commonwealth Award Tuesday in the Leadership category for prioritizing arts and culture in the city. PHOTO BY ERIN BILLINGS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The MCC awards the Commonwealth Awards every two years, honoring both individuals and organizations in their support of the arts and culture of the state of Massachusetts, according to the MCC’s website.

Robert DeLeo, Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives, presented the award to Walsh. DeLeo, who introduced Walsh at several events during his mayoral campaign, spoke about Walsh’s devotion to the arts.

“This is a mayor that knows by elevating the arts, we have the opportunity to improve the education of children across the city, enhance the lives of families of all backgrounds, advance the city’s reputation as a world class destination and bolster our economy,” DeLeo said in his introduction.

A subject of interest in both DeLeo and Walsh’s speeches was the appointment of Julie Burros, chief of arts and culture for the City of Boston, who took her post in December 2014.

Walsh said in his speech that Burros is the City of Boston’s first chief of arts and culture in over two decades.

DeLeo said Burros’ appointment is one of the many steps that Walsh is taking toward improving the arts and culture of the city.

“Mayor Walsh has created a new cabinet position for arts and culture, launched a longterm capital plan and has invited creative entrepreneurs to help tackle some of the city’s toughest urban challenges,” DeLeo said.

Walsh thanked people in the room for their support, as well as the MCC for the award, and acknowledged in his speech the other individuals who have helped Boston develop a stronger arts and culture program.

“I’m also honored to be recognized with such incredible, great leaders in the arts community,” Walsh said in his speech. “I’ve done a few things, but the folks that are here right behind us, they really are the leaders in the community, so I want to thank them all.”

Walsh emphasized in his speech the importance of the arts to the community, as he spoke about promises he made during his mayoral campaign and detailed his plans for the city.

“During my campaign, we made it very clear to Boston residents that arts are going to be a very integral part of our office, in city hall as well as in the daily lives of the people of the City of Boston,” he said. “The arts inspire and heal people, express identity, teach lessons and create a sense of community. They are something everyone in the state can enjoy, regardless of age or background.”

Walsh outlined his plans for further incorporating arts and culture into the city of Boston moving forward.

“We’re doing a lot more on the city, not just about funding, but we’re working on the permitting process for artists and as we build new buildings, we’re talking to folks about putting art in their buildings, and a lot of people are excited about that. We also restored the poet laureate program in the city of Boston,” Walsh said toward the end of his speech.

Several attendees said they feel encouraged by Walsh’s support of the arts thus far in his term as mayor.

Lynn DuVal Luse, 62, of Roxbury said she is grateful for Walsh’s support of the arts, especially with regard to the Museum of African American History, where she works.

“He’s got some incredible organizations and arts and cultural institutions under his egis. And so far, he has been extremely helpful to the Museum of African American History, where I work,” DuVal Luse said. “He has been a very strong, both vocal and in other ways, supporter of the museum and the arts and culture that we preserve and protect, so I’m thrilled for him.”

DuVal Luse said she hopes Walsh continues to promote the arts.

“It’s wonderful for someone to be recognized with such short tenure, which means that he’s done incredible things in his short term as mayor,” she said. “He’s got some gigantic shoes to fill, as [former Boston Mayor] Tom Menino was the pinnacle of mayors in the United States of America.”

Susan Collings, 60, of the South End, who runs the Art Connection, said she is excited to see everything Walsh has planned for the City.

“A lot of us in the arts community rallied together to make sure that an arts platform was centermost in the mayor’s campaign, and he’s making good on his promises. He’s already brought Julie Burros on as an arts commissioner, and we’re very proud she’s going to be honorary chair of one of our events,” she said. “I’ve seen her at a gazillion events already, so she’s out and about in the city, showing her support for the arts, so Mayor Walsh definitely deserves the leadership award.”

Jeremy Alliger, 60, of Jamaica Plain, also conveyed excitement about how well Walsh has kept his promises to the community.

“We’re thrilled that he has fulfilled his passion and promise to elevate the arts to a capital position,” he said. “We look forward to an administration that works with the arts community as a true partner.”