Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse drops game against Yale

wlax15_AlexandraWimley (1 of 1)
Junior midfielder Ally Adams notched BU’s first goal of the day in its loss to Yale. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Unable to finish on its shot attempts, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team fell to Yale University 14-6 on Wednesday afternoon.

The Terriers (4-5, 2-1 Patriot League) were at a disadvantage from the get-go as the Bulldogs (5-5) rocketed out to a 2-0 lead. Attack Kerri Fleishhacker was the star all day for Yale and had an assist and goal in that first span. She is the lead scorer for the Bulldogs with 24 points on the year, including 16 goals.

Junior midfielder Ally Adams got one back for the Terriers before Yale rattled off another three consecutive goals. That was the theme of the day for BU, as every time it attempted to come back, it was stymied. Yale had four instances where it scored two or more unanswered goals, including a five-goal streak to start off the second half.

The Terriers did keep it close at halftime as redshirt junior Mallory Collins’ goal cut the Bulldog lead to three before the break, a 6-3 game.

The second half, though, was a rout. BU matched the same anemic offensive output it had in the first half, while Yale had a colossal eight goals.

Scoring has been an issue for the Terriers of late. Their last double-digit scoring game came five outings ago when they put up 13 against American University. In that span, the team has been outscored 46-31, though this past loss was its worst of the season in terms of scoring margin.

The Terriers’ average of 7.75 goals per game in that period of time is below their season average of nine goals per game, but as long as BU is letting up 10 goals a contest, it will be tough to achieve victory.

Scoring against this Yale team was going to be a challenge regardless of how the Terriers played, as the Bulldogs rank 23rd nationally in scoring defense. They only let up 8.44 goals per game.

Sophomore goalkeeper Caroline Meegan let up 11 goals and made five saves, but Yale’s 16 goals on just 26 shots proved that the Bulldogs’ efficiency with their sticks was dominant enough to come away with the win.

Even when Meegan was replaced by freshman Christine Laible, the goals did not stop coming. Laible let up three goals and saved two shots in 13:53 of action.

Looking at the statistics, one would think the score should have been closer than it was. The Terriers only had three shots fewer than their opponent, only two more fouls, the same amount of turnovers and a better percentage on free-position shots.

So far this season, one third of the Terriers’ goals scored have come on free-position shots, compared to opponents who have scored 25.56 percent of their goals against BU via the free-position.

The real difference was in the shots scored. BU scored on 26 percent of its shots, while Yale converted on an impressive 61.5 percent clip. The Bulldogs also had three players with hat tricks on the day. Freshman Maggie Pizzo had her first three goals of the season in this game on three shots and also picked up her first assist of the year.

The Terriers have shot better than that so far this season, as they have a 40.9 shot percentage compared to an opponent percentage of 43.7.

The Terriers will look to rebound in their return to Patriot League action on Saturday against Lafayette College.

BU coach Liz Robertshaw could not be reached for comment.