Crew & Rowing, Golf, Sports, Tennis, Track and Field

Rowing, track and field, tennis, golf reaching heights of season

PHOTO BY JALANS/WIKIMEDIA
The BU men’s rowing team recorded its fourth straight victory ahead of the upcoming IRA National Championship Regatta. PHOTO BY JALANS/WIKIMEDIA

Rowing continues hot streak

With its fourth straight victory, the Boston University men’s rowing team has gathered steam before the IRA National Championship Regatta at the end of May. In its latest conquest Saturday, the team defeated Columbia University and Syracuse University to retain both the Lusins and Conlan Cups.

All four of BU’s varsity boats defeated their respective counterparts throughout the day, but it all started with the first varsity boat. Coxed by senior Lauren Harvey and stroked by junior Vass Ragoussis, the Terriers finished with a time of 6:16, seven seconds faster than their closest competitor.

The largest margin of victory for the Terriers’ win came on the third varsity boat that finished ahead of Syracuse by 11 seconds.

In their last race before entering the Eastern Sprints, the Terriers will travel to the University of Wisconsin Saturday where the No. 9 ranked Badgers and Georgetown University await them.

Track and field revs up for championship season

Competing in an invitational and a relay this past week, the Boston University track and field team program had quite the eventful week.

It all started with Stonehill Skyhawk Invitational on Friday, where several Terriers placed highly.

The auxiliary events took center stage for BU as the focus shifted from runners to throws and vaults. For the men, junior Reuben Horace dominated the hammer throw to come in first, while senior Ethan Knight tossed his discus 46.99m to grab first place. A Terrier, sophomore Jason Biesma, who managed to get over 4.30m, also claimed the men’s pole vault title.

On the women’s side, the highlight was senior Catherine Sampson, who grabbed second place in the long jump with an impressive performance.

Later, the Terriers competed in the Penn Relays, which brought about a new school record in the 4×100 relays.

Sophomores Cameron Williams, Justin Flynn and Alastair Prenn, along with junior David Lagerberg, combined for a time of 40.91 during the College Championship of Americas Race.

This time put them in fourth place within their division, finishing .04 seconds behind Northeastern University, but four seconds ahead of Essex County College.

Women’s tennis never loses a match to claim championship

With three consecutive 4-0 wins, the Boston University’s women’s tennis team claimed its second consecutive Patriot League championship.

The Terriers (14-7, 4-0 Patriot League) were never in danger of losing at any point during the championship match against the United States Naval Academy.

Although BU is led by junior Johanna Hyoty in the No.1 singles slot, freshman Iryna Kostirko has come on extremely strong during the latter part of the season. She dominated in No.3 singles play, winning 6-2, 6-1 in consecutive sets. Later, she earned the John “Pat” Rooney MVP award due to the fact that she did not lose any of her single or doubles matches the entire tournament.

The Terriers were so dominant in the matchup that four of the matchups went unfinished due to the fact that BU won the first five, rendering the rest irrelevant.

Now that the Terriers have proven themselves in the Patriot League, they will face No. 12 Oklahoma State University in the NCAA First Round on May 9.

Women’s golf travels to San Antonio for NCAA Regional action

A dominant performance in the Patriot League championship allowed the Boston University women’s golf team to stamp its ticket to the NCAA Regional round in San Antonio.

Lehigh University placed first amongst six Patriot League teams and 10 strokes ahead of the second place finisher.

The Terriers had the top two performers of the tournament, including sophomore Adela Cejnarova, who was the top performer overall, and it wasn’t particularly close. The Prague native finished plus-6, including a tournament low 72 in the first round, which was six strokes ahead of teammate junior Emily Tillo at plus-12.

Freshman Phyllis Tang was also a big winner on the afternoon as not only did she finish fifth overall on the tournament, but she was also named Patriot League Rookie of the Year.

Tang was also named to the All-Patriot League First Team along with Tillo and Cejnarova.

Now the Terriers head to San Antonio, where a shot to claim the National Championship is on the line for a team that just won its first Patriot League title.