City, News, Orientation Guide 2015

A student’s guide to transportation

Public transportation is one popular way among students of traveling through Boston and exploring the city. Through a network of subways, buses, commuter rails and boats, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority can get you around Boston and the surrounding area.

Many students use the subway system daily on one of the five subway lines: the Blue Line, the Green Line, the Orange Line, the Red Line and the Silver Line. Students can board the Green Line’s B train along Commonwealth Avenue starting in Kenmore Square on the eastern border of BU’s campus and continuing past West Campus into Allston.

At the underground MBTA subway stations, students can purchase CharlieTickets, fill a reloadable CharlieCard and transfer to other routes. The closest station on campus is the Kenmore Station. Government Center, a station on the Green Line used to access the Boston Logan Airport, will remain closed until March 2016.

Individual subway rides cost $2.65 with CharlieTickets or $2.10 with a reusable CharlieCard. There are also semester or monthly passes available for students who plan to use the MBTA subways and buses regularly. The MBTA subways run from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. on weeknights and until 2:30 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.*

The Daily Free Press is here to help you explore Boston and travel efficiently. For more information about the MBTA subway routes, click around on the map below to see how to reach popular destinations.

• The current late-night service pilot program will continue through June 19. These hours will change if the state board overseeing the MBTA decides to adopt a recommendation to scale late-night hours back to 2:00 a.m. and eliminate five late-night bus routes.

Vice Chairman and archives keeper for The Daily Free Press Board of Directors. Former news editor. I like data, politics, and higher education, but will write about anything.