Walsh, Mass. mayors push for transgender anti discrimination protection

gender trans sign final-1Boston Mayor Martin Walsh has joined a group of mayors taking steps to improve the lives of transgender people in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Mayors for Freedom, chaired by Walsh and Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll, supports two bills before the Massachusetts State Legislature that would protect individuals in public spaces.

“Everyone has the right to enjoy retail stores, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, theaters,public parks and public transportation,” Walsh said in a Wednesday press release . “Our diverse and inclusive community is what makes Boston so strong. I call on the Legislature to pass this bill so we can do more to provide tangible protections to all of our Commonwealth’s residents and visitors.”

The two bills, House Bill 1577 and Senate Bill 735, will make gender identity a protected class under the Commonwealth’s anti discrimination laws. The State Legislature is currently considering both bills.

Jullieanne Doherty, liaison to the LGBT communities from the city’s Office of Neighborhood Services, said Boston has made gains to make transgender residents feel more welcome.

“There is huge, huge support, not just with community partners. We are seeing also more inclusion even in more conservative pockets of our city,” Doherty said. “Our mayor wants to make this a more inclusive city as a whole.”

Walsh has always been adamant about integrating every resident into the city.

“Starting when he was a representative, he has always been really inclusive of the LGBTQ community and that only grew when he took office and became mayor,” Doherty said. “He’s always working with advocacy groups, anything from transgender groups to bisexual students in schools.”

These efforts have been received well by the community, Doherty said.

“[Walsh] is co-chair of the bill and he has a lot of support from the local towns that are joining in the fight for this,” Doherty said. “The Salem mayor is obviously supporting this legislation. Within the Boston community, there is tons of support. This is a no-brainer.”

Doherty said this particular movement started from gender-neutral bathrooms in City Hall. An LGBT youth group had a prom at one of the halls and used gender-neutral signs for the bathroom, which inspired Walsh, she said.

Several residents said they are happy to see the mayor in support of increasing the level of inclusivity for everyone.

Julie Edman, 56, of Fenway, said she sees this as an example of Walsh’s continued efforts to better the community.

“Transgender people don’t deserve to be discriminated against and I think it’s really great that one of our local officials is taking a stand about it,” she said.

John Xie, 38, of Allston, said the movement will be very helpful.

“It’s cool that that is something that the mayor is taking an interest in because I feel he doesn’t necessarily have to if he doesn’t want to. Good for him,” he said.

Elisa Banner, 36, of the South End, said supporting the bills is a great step forward for LGBT individuals.

“Transgender individuals can get really left out a lot of the time,” she said. “A lot of strides have been made recently for gay and lesbian rights, but transgender individuals are still waiting for some acceptance, so anything that the mayor is doing to try to help is great.”