Rachel Bloznalis, McKenzie Hollenbaugh serve as defensive anchors for women’s soccer

PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO
Senior defender McKenzie Hollenbaugh has anchored the Terrier defense all season. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO

With the Boston University women’s soccer team having difficulty scoring goals so far this season, the defense has had to step up its game to keep the Terriers competitive. That is exactly what the back line has done in eight games this year, forfeiting just 1.50 goals per game and holding four opponents to one goal or less.

Much of the credit for the impressive defense has to go to junior defender Rachel Bloznalis and senior defender McKenzie Hollenbaugh, who have shined for BU (2-4-2) so far this year. Bloznalis, who missed nearly all of last year with an injury, has proven to be a huge boost for the Terriers on defense.

On Thursday night, the defense picked up right where it left off, as the back line was instrumental in the Terriers’ 2-1 win over Providence College at Nickerson Field. It is the team’s second straight win after failing to record a W in its first six games.

The Terriers’ defense, led by Bloznalis and Hollenbaugh, made plays to disrupt the Friars’ (6-3) explosive offense and come away with the win. Providence’s top goal-scorers, forwards Rachel Ugolik and Catherine Zimmerman, could only amass three total shots, and the team totaled a mere five shots in the game.

Bloznalis and Hollenbaugh, the two center backs, have been nothing but efficient manning the back this season. BU coach Nancy Feldman said she believes they are so effective because of their differing playing styles.

“Those two center backs are a great tandem,” Feldman said. “We haven’t been able to consistently play them from the start of the season to now because of some injuries. Now, you see they’re a great partnership because they’re different. They’re both very good defenders, but they offer different strengths.

“Rachel is really strong, physical and has really good service, which you saw on the corner kicks,” she added. “McKenzie is pace, she has great speed and she makes up for mistakes in games because of her pace. So they are a great partnership. That partnership is real important for us, just got to keep them healthy.”

In the first half, the Terriers shut down the Friars’ offense, as Providence only took one shot, which was a free kick that sailed over the net. Otherwise, Bloznalis, Hollenbaugh and the rest of the defense thwarted any Providence attempt to generate shots, giving the Terriers a 1-0 lead at halftime after freshman forward McKenna Doyle scored in the 22nd minute.

After giving up a goal to Providence in the 60th minute, the defense did not give up another shot. Bloznalis and Hollenbaugh, along with sophomore outside backs Alivya Wimmer and Erin Neville were stealing the ball from opposing attackers, deflecting cross and shot attempts and clearing the ball to midfield with ease. Their stellar defense allowed the Terriers to win on an own goal in the 72nd minute.

Another reason for the Terriers’ recent defensive success has been Hollenbaugh returning to her original position. Feldman is thankful that Hollenbaugh is finally back where she belongs after playing a different position last year.

“McKenzie, I think, is now back in her most comfortable position, which is center back,” Feldman said. “The reason I keep bringing up Kenzie is because she sacrificed for the team last year and played center midfielder because we didn’t have any other options.

“This year, when we figured out [freshman midfielder] Julianna Chen and [freshman defender] Chelsea Churchill could play there, we were able to bump her back into what I think is her best position. But she did that with a good soldier mentality, and now she’s finding her comfort again at center back.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14