Sports

Men’s tennis falls at Brown in first match of dual season 

PHOTO COURTESY OF STEVE MCLAUGHLIN / BU ATHLETICS
Men’s tennis fell to Brown University last weekend. PHOTO COURTESY OF STEVE MCLAUGHLIN / BU ATHLETICS

The Boston University men’s tennis team lost a 6-1 decision at Brown University in its dual season opener. Although they lost all three doubles matches by a score of 18-5, BU fought hard to claim five of the six single points available.

Freshman Satyajit Simhadri led BU’s performance and rallied from one set down to beat Lucas Da Silveira, 2-6, 7-6, 1-0.

Swimming sweeps Bryant, awarded Patriot League weekly honors

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams routed Bryant University Saturday in their final home meet of the season. The men’s team won 13 of 15 races by a score of 209-102. Meanwhile, the women’s team won 14 of 15 races to down the Bulldogs 219-95.

Freshman Julimar Avila won both the 100-meter freestyle and the 200-meter butterfly. She also guided the 200-meter medley relay team to another first-place finish, leading to three total victories. Junior Danielle Yoon contributed two wins, as she placed first in the 100-meter freestyle and the 200-meter breaststroke.

On the men’s side, sophomore Garret Chin placed first in three individual races. The La Canada, California native won the 200-meter freestyle and swept both butterfly events. Freshman Trevor Winans claimed victory in the 100-meter and the 1000-meter freestyle.

Sophomore Kyra Tatlow and freshman David Thiede swept the diving events on both sides.

It was announced Monday that the above duo won Patriot League Divers of the Week honors. They were joined by Avila, who was named Patriot League Female Swimmer of the Week.

The Terriers will next compete Saturday when they head to Boston College for a dual meet.

Womens tennis begins quest for three-peat with sweep of University of Rhode Island

The women’s tennis team dominated URI Sunday at the BU Track and Tennis Center. The Terriers won all doubles and single action to down the Rams 7-0.

Two-time Patriot League Player of the Year and senior Johanna Hyoty defeated Galina Chernykh, a two-time Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team member, 6-3, 6-1, in the top singles spot. Freshman Remi Ramos won all games in singles and doubles actions in an impressive debut.

BU will face the United States Naval Academy in a rematch of last year’s Patriot League final Sunday.