MBTA votes on new fare system

The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority Fiscal Management and Control Board voted Monday to implement a new fare system, which will be put in place July 1, according to an official fare table provided by MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo.

According the new MBTA fare table, for those who use a CharlieTicket or pay in cash, the bus fare will decrease by a dime from $2.10 to $2.00, but subway fare will increase from $2.65 to $2.75. For those who pay with a CharlieCard, a local bus ticket will increase from $1.60 to $1.70 and subway ticket will increase from $2.10 to $2.25. The average fare increase is approximately 9.3 percent, according to a Monday press release.

The fare changes also include a student pass rate of $30 per month and the postponing of any future fare changes for 30 months. In addition to changes in fares, the MBTA Fiscal Management and Control Board also voted on policies to get rid of the 10-ride paper ticket option on the commuter rail, according to fare changes table.

“The board took into consideration public comments gathered during a series of community meetings held throughout the state, emails and phone messages,” the release stated. “Members acted to address concerns expressed during that process.”

According to the release, the board also reviewed Commuter Rail zones, voted to extend free transfer services to bus-rail-bus trips and addressed precautions on how to enforce rules and void fare evasion.

Editor-in-Chief. Bostonian by way of Indiana. Excessive Instagrammer. Seltzer addict. Journalism junkie, storytelling fiend.