Women’s soccer team’s offensive struggles continue in loss to Cincinnati

The Terriers' offense is struggling to start the year, but they are also missing the presence of Alyssa Parisi in net. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO
The Terriers’ offense is struggling to start the year, but they are also missing the presence of Alyssa Parisi in net. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The members of the Boston University women’s soccer team like to have their work cut out for them.

Just six games into the 2016 season, the Terriers’ (0-6) struggles on the offensive end are proving to be their downfall.

Against the University of Cincinnati on Monday night, BU’s comeback attempt was thwarted after an own goal with eight seconds remaining, giving the Bearcats (4-2) the 2-1 victory.

In a wild sequence, Cincinnati midfielder Taylor Pavlika’s corner dropped right in front of a BU defender and was turned into the net for the last-second Bearcat victory.

Despite it being a fairly even battle, with the Bearcats outshooting the Terriers 13-12 and each team having six shots on goal, BU head coach Nancy Feldman’s team is still on the losing side of things.

It’s not the first game this season where BU struggled offensively.

Thus far, BU has been outscored 12-2, with its other goal coming from sophomore forward McKenna Doyle in the team’s season opening loss against Arizona State University.

Opponents have also outshot the Terriers 14.8 to 10.5 over the first six games, while their opponents have out-assisted them 9-1.

“I think goals come from having [quality] attacking play consistently,” Feldman said, “and I just think that’s what we have to keep growing into. Some of it has to do with the quality of the poise we’re playing, and some has to do with our being able to consistently win territory and generate more attack with our possession to penetrate.”

Much like this season, the 2015 campaign saw the Terriers come out the gate winless with a record of 0-4-2. They were outscored 10-3 before they notched their opening win versus Hofstra University on Sept. 13.

After the Hostra game, BU cruised, winning 12 of its next 14 games, which included a victory over St. John’s University in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Last year’s team featured great senior leadership from key contributors such as midfielder Clare Pleuler, goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi, defender McKenzie Hollenbaugh and forward Jenna Fisher.

With the departure of the senior core, Feldman’s team has gotten significantly younger this season, but the coach, now in her 22nd year at the helm, is impressed with the performances of her newcomers.

“We are younger,” Feldman said. “We are a little less experienced. I believe we’re equally as talented [as last year’s team] and we’re equally as hard-working and motivated so these games are definitely learning experiences and we’re just continuing to try and become a better team.”

Feldman also expects major contributions from the freshman class, which includes defender Shannon Keefe, midfielder Chloee Sagmoe, forward Rachel Kingston, midfielder Jordan Bailey and goalie Emma Heil.

“There’s a lot of quality in our freshmen class and they fit right in,” Feldman said. “They’re not getting the opportunity a lot on game day, but their future is bright. There are just some young players ahead of them this year, but there’s fierce competition on the team and in our practices which is just going to raise everybody else’s game.”

The similarities are there between this year’s team and last year’s, but as Feldman noted, there is still a lot of soccer left to be played.

“I guess you could say it is similar with the zero in the wins column after six games,” Feldman said, “but every year is so different. What is similar, however, is I’m incredibly hopeful and believing that the opportunities ahead of us are no different than last year’s.”