ENDORSEMENT: Request your absentee ballot and vote for Hillary Clinton

Clintonforprez_KelseyCroninFile
PHOTO BY KELSEY CRONIN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The past months of the presidential election have been nothing short of tumultuous. As college students, we watched the debates, voted in our primaries and cried as the field winnowed and Bernie bid us goodbye. Our hopes, it seemed, were dashed.

Further insanity ensued as Donald Trump established himself as a buffoon time and time again, from his statements on immigrants to his respect of women.

But this piece isn’t about Trump. This piece is about Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose candidacy The Daily Free Press is enthusiastically supporting. This election is perhaps one of the most contentious and consequential in our history, and voting has never been more important.

Clinton has over 30 years of service, punctuated by her extensive experience with foreign policy through her tenure as first lady and secretary of state. Her policies are clearly outlined, with substantive facts on her stances to back them up. Her demeanor and ability to perform under pressure is nothing less than presidential.

A public gaze is something Clinton is incredibly familiar with and prepared for. She has prepared for her time in leadership roles through her impressive education at Wellesley College and then Yale Law School, where she met her future husband and president-to-be. After school, she then turned to activism, where she worked on behalf of unprivileged children for the Children’s Defense Fund. Her calculated career choices, always benefitting others, make her more than qualified to be our country’s commander in chief.

Public education, the backbone of America, is dependent on government funding at its very core. When asked about ways to curb the national debt, Trump was quoted with saying, “We are going to cut the Department of Education.” Hillary Clinton, conversely, said, “I’ll work to ensure every child — from every zip code — has access to a world-class education.” Students ourselves, education is a cause that directly impacts us. If our future president of the United States does not take the next generation’s learning seriously, how will the country look four years from now? A strong education system is vital to the health of a nation and a dedication to the next generation is arguably the most important quality in a presidential candidate.

Clinton’s stance on immigration further solidifies her as the best to run our nation. While Trump talks about walls and extreme vetting, Clinton is focused on establishing an Office of Immigrant Affairs to account for our nation’s incredibly diverse DNA. Clinton said on May 5, “If we claim we are for family, then we have to pull together and resolve the outstanding issues around our broken immigration system.”

LGBT rights are always called into question around an election, and Clinton’s perspective is clear and promising. In 2011, Trump said, “I live in New York. I know many, many gay people.” A difference of perspective is immediately seen. Trump’s views always seem to reflect inward, directly relating to him and only him. Clinton, however, shifts her gaze outwards, pensively considering the perspectives of others different from herself.

Perhaps the most polarizing point of Clinton’s campaign in comparison to her counterparts is her opinion of gender equality. Trump’s vulgar and demeaning comments regarding women are countered by Clinton’s powerful speech in Beijing, over 20 years ago. On one of the most prominent political stages, Clinton proudly stated that, “Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights.” Never has a statement rang more true, in a time when #NotOkay is still trending and her counterpart is boasting of his chauvinistic conquests. Women should feel obligated to vote for her because she simply understands the inequality endured on a daily basis.

At this point on the campaign trail, we have moved beyond the idea of “a lesser of two evils.” There is only one logical choice for the president of the United States and that choice is Hillary Rodham Clinton.

That being said, a president cannot be elected without voter turnout. College students and young people as a generation have enormous power in deciding the outcome of an election. If you are of age, you have a civic obligation to vote. Deadlines for requesting absentee ballots are quickly approaching and requesting one is nothing short of imperative. It’s not that difficult to vote absentee if you simply set aside a small amount of time. History is going to be made with this election, in one way or another, and you, as an American voter, have the privilege to participate.

Don’t waste it.

1. If I were grading this, it would receive no better than a ‘C’ … you started out maintaining that this piece wasn’t about Trump, but rather about Hillary … you mentioned her years at Yale (she’s nearly 70 years old at this point!), highlighted her foreign policy experience, but never mentioned a foreign policy success and avoided her calamitous handling of Libya and the further destabilization of the Middle East?

At best, Hillary has been ‘present’ for 30 years or so … she was a First Lady (who disasterously waded into the healthcare game then only to be kicked to the curb), became a senator from NY after parachuting in to establish residence (a rather unremarkable senator when cast against her predecessors from that great state), before going in to a disasterous term at State (where an ambassador and three others were brutally murdered under her command, she promised to bring those involved to justice and failed, lied to the families of the deceased and then accused the families of lying in return, and then destroyed all the evidence that would set the story straight …..

But sure, Trump said mean things.

News media is on the cusp of irrelevancy and The Daily Free Press should stop for a moment and take heed … you can either lead … or follow the others in a swirl down the drain – your choice.

2. Please send me an absentee ballot for Hillary Clinton

3. You must have known this editorial would cause debate. Maybe that was the point. Getting those in college to study the candidate’s positions, backgrounds and contemplate their votes is important . Urging them to exercise their right to vote is what Democracy is all about.