Cross Country, Sports

Men’s and women’s cross country compete in Rothenberg Run

GRAPHIC BY CAROLINE HITESMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS

The Boston University men’s and women’s cross country team competed in the Rothenberg Run this past Friday at Brown University to mixed results.

The women’s team finished in sixth place with 151 points overall. Sophomore Courtney Breiner had the best finish. The Troy, New York native finished in fourth place with a time of 17:39.4. Seniors Tina Romak and Elin Wolker finished in 46th and 49th place, while senior Colleen Tretheway finished in 66th place.

The men’s team, on the other hand, finished in fifth place with 138 points. Senior Matti Groll placed highest among the Terriers with a 17th-place finish. Junior Liam O’Connell followed in 39th place and immediately after came sophomores Ian Anderson and Zachary Prescott at 40th and 41st place.

It’s a quick turnaround for the Terriers, as they will next participate in the CCSU Mini Meet on Friday, Oct. 21 in New Haven, Connecticut.

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving excel over the weekend

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams found success over the weekend, winning each of their matchups.

The men’s side defeated Bucknell University this past Saturday afternoon by a score of 175-119. The win continues the undefeated streak for the Terriers, who finished the meet with 10 total first-place victories.

Sophomore Trevor Winans placed first in the 200-meter freestyle and the 100-meter freestyle. Senior Daniel Andronov claimed first place in both the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke. Junior Quinn Smith finished in first in the 50-meter freestyle and the 100-meter butterfly, while classmate Garrett Chin placed first in the 200-meter butterfly and second in the 200-meter individual medley. The swimmers also finished with a collective victory in the 400-meter freestyle relay.

In diving, sophomore David Thiede and junior Eric Mitchell placed first in the 1-meter dive and 3-meter dive, respectively.

Other notable performances came from freshman Tommy Hagerty, who placed second in both the 500-meter and 1000-meter freestyle. Sophomores Matt Traub and Michael Choate finished second in the 100-meter and 200-meter backstroke, respectively.

The women’s swimming and diving team also had a strong weekend, defeating both Bucknell University and the University of Richmond by scores of 176-122 and 162.5-136.5, respectively. This was the team’s first double-dual meet of the year.

The Terriers finished with seven first-place victories from five different players.

Senior Sarah Hargrave attained first place in the 1000-meter and 500-meter freestyle, while senior Lauren Dixon claimed first in the 200-meter freestyle. Senior Christy Wilde and sophomore Julimar Avila placed first in the 50-meter and 100-meter freestyle, respectively. As a team, the Terriers finished in first place in the 200-meter medley relay and the 400-meter freestyle relay.

Junior diver Kyra Tatlow placed first 3-meter dive and second in the 1-meter dive.

The team next takes the pool on Saturday, Oct. 22 against the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Ranya currently covers field hockey and women’s hockey for the Daily Free Press. As a Biology major at BU, she spends much of her time buried in her Chemistry textbook with the occasional trip to the piano practice room to rehearse her favorite piece, Debussy’s "Claire de Lune." She is an avid ice hockey fan and a proud supporter of the Pittsburgh Penguins.