Op-Ed, Opinion

OP-ED: A time for unity

Op-Eds do not reflect the editorial opinion of The Daily Free Press. They are solely the opinion of the author.

As a liberal woman, I am as much to blame for this election as my conservative counterparts. Divisiveness on both sides has given rise to this outcome. Our bipartisan discourse has deteriorated to the point where we need a complete overhaul. I know there are conservatives who agree with me at least on this, so I want to extend an olive branch.

First of all, I will always look up to Hillary Clinton as a woman whose defining quality is her resilience and I will always I firmly believe in Hillary’s platform. We are indeed “Better Together.” Our diversity as a nation is not only our greatest strength, but something to be celebrated. This includes our intellectual diversity and our ability to collaborate with those who have differing opinions in order to find common ground. I am incredibly frustrated because our national discourse on the issues that matter most completely deteriorated this election season. We demonize each other for having opposing views and it’s become so easy to tear each other down using social media. Some in the Boston University community on both sides of the aisle have received death threats. I honestly think this demonization of “the different” caused this horrific election outcome. We are all to blame for condoning a lack of productive discourse.

I feel moved to be part of the change. I genuinely want to engage and understand where people on all ends of the political spectrum are coming from. I want to find common ground. I believe that the issues of our time are so much more nuanced than a tweet or sound bite, but unfortunately that’s what they’ve been reduced to. This oversimplification of the issues we face and ideologies of the opposing viewpoint has divided us as a nation. Through this division, a man who represents a fringe group of people was elected president.

At this point, it doesn’t matter who you voted for. If you don’t like the outcome we must do all that we can TOGETHER to make a change. I am so sick and tired of this divisive rhetoric tearing us apart. There are steps that can be taken to remedy this, so I want to take them. This op-ed is an open invitation to those who want to talk over coffee about the future of the United States or who want to seek common ground. I am a liberal, I proudly voted for Hillary and I genuinely want to engage in productive discourse with conservatives who are willing. I believe that we have more in common than we like to think and we truly are “Stronger Together.”

In order to make the necessary changes to our nation, we need to do time consuming, unsexy work. We must do work that will not bring us short term validation from a “like” or a “retweet,” but work that will bring long term change. We need to come together to have conversations, write letters, start media campaigns, and fundraise for candidates who represent us. President Teddy Roosevelt once said: “The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” BU, this is work worth doing and I want to get to work. If you agree with me, please get in touch and let’s start a conversation.

Grace Hagerty, College of Arts and Sciences ’18, ghagerty@bu.edu