Sports

Men’s and women’s rowing conclude fall season

The Boston University rowing teams concluded their fall seasons this weekend. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

The Boston University men’s and women’s rowing teams wrapped up their fall seasons this past weekend at the Foot of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge.

The men’s side competed against the likes of Northeastern University, Harvard University, Brown University, Boston College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

In the morning varsity four races, the Terriers 4A boat, which was coxed by sophomore Aly Reynolds and rowed by junior Max Ponsen, cruised to a seventh-place finish with a time of 13:18.4.

The duo was edged out by two Huskies boats, three Crimson boats and one Bears boat.

Three more BU boats came in 14th, 15th and 20th place to round out BU’s top-20 rowers.

In the varsity eight meet, the Terriers boat was coxed by sophomore Nick Meehan and stroked by classmate Paul Giroux, finishing with a time of 12:40.1, good for fourth place overall. They were only beaten out by the Huskies (12:36), the Bears (12:38.1) and the Crimson (12:38.5).

Two more BU boats placed in the top-10 behind Meehan and Ponsen, as the B and C boats came in sixth and seventh place with times of 12:52.1 and 13:05.3, respectively.

The numerous top-10 finishes this past weekend rounded out a successful fall campaign for the Terriers.

In its penultimate race, the Head of the Charles Regatta, BU ended the weekend with two bronze medals and three top-five finishes. The accomplishments propelled the Terriers to a fifth-place finish in the race, which matched their highest finish in program history.

The men’s crew team next competes in Clemson, South Carolina, at the Spring Break Regatta on March 11 along with the women’s lightweight team.

BU’s women’s openweight and lightweight crew teams ended their seasons last weekend as well.

The Terriers varsity eight lightweight boat, coxed by sophomore Anna Wisotzkey and stroked by fellow sophomore Janice Hagerman, came in third place (21:06.6) behind boats from Harvard (20:29.4) and Northeastern (20:48.6).

The Wisotzkey-Hagerman pairing also was the fastest lightweight crew in the meet, ahead of the Crimson (eighth place, 21:34.7) and MIT (10th place, 21:52.8).

BU’s openweight varsity-eight boat, which was coxed by senior Marlaina Miller and stroked by Emily Huber, matched their underclassmen’s results with another top-10 finish. Huber and Miller’s boat finished in seventh place with a time of 21:33.9 out of the 21 boats that raced.

The Terriers rounded out their season with two top-10 finishes in the novice/freshmen eight competition.

BU’s openweight A boat, racing on a slightly shorter course, came in fourth place with a time of 14:14.6 behind the Huskies (13:39.7), Boston College (13:52.2) and the University of Rhode Island (14:13.8).

The Terriers then capped off the weekend when the lightweight novice A team had a fifth place showing (14:20.7), beating out MIT, the only other lightweight boat in the race.

The weekend ended a fall campaign for the women’s crew team, which saw mixed results between the two teams.

The Terriers varsity side go into their hiatus with their best showing being a 12th place result at the Head of the Charles Regatta in the varsity-eight race on Saturday, Oct. 22.

The lightweight team saw success in each race, as it finished in the top-10 in every meet, including a first-place showing at the Princeton 3-Mile Chase on Oct. 30 in the varsity four race.

The Terriers openweight team have a lengthy break, as they don’t begin their spring season until March 24 when they compete in the Beanpot Regatta on the Charles River.