KAVANAGH: Living in a feminist world, post-election

Throughout the course of his campaign, Donald Trump threatened the rights of countless groups of people. With Trump becoming the president-elect on Nov. 8, these people are beginning to understand that their worst fears may materialize over the next four years at the hands of Trump and the individuals he appoints into positions of power.

The week following Trump’s victory was politically charged to say the least. Rallies and protests took place in major cities across the nation. Hate crime rates spiked as minorities and members of the LGBT community have had their property damaged and vandalized and have been attacked physically and verbally in public. Many women feel unsafe alone on the streets, fearing harassment and assault.

The most terrifying element of these attacks is that they may become normalized under Trump’s presidency. Having a leader who does not denounce malice toward women and minorities, but rather condones it with his public statements and proposed policies, enables and empowers racist, sexist, xenophobic and homophobic individuals. Trump’s America has potential to become a place that breeds intolerance and hatred toward any demographic of citizens aside from white males.

From a women’s rights perspective, the outcome of this election has been difficult to accept for an array of reasons. For one, white women have seemed to prioritize the perpetuation of white privilege over the quest for gender equality, with 53 percent of them voting for Trump. This statistic is particularly disheartening for people who believe in the power of intersectional feminism. More than 65 percent of Hispanic women and 94 percent of African-American women voted for Clinton, but it is difficult to encourage women of all ethnicities to come together in the name of women’s rights when a majority of white women so clearly betrayed the common goal.

Another reason Trump’s victory is not sitting well with most women is the implication of his presidency on basic women’s rights, most immediately the right to abortion. During his campaign and following the election, Trump has emphasized his intention to swing the Supreme Court right, which will, almost beyond a shadow of a doubt, result in the overturning of Roe v. Wade. The need for the feminist movement is clearly greater than ever before.

I recently attended a peace rally on the Boston Common. Hundreds of people were gathered, many of them women. Regardless of the way 53 percent of white women chose to vote on Election Day, a majority of women in America are willing to fight for their rights, and that certainly must be done. There are countless ways to fuel the feminist movement on a local level.

First, when topics pertaining to women’s rights come up, as I’m sure they will across the nation during family discussions about politics over Thanksgiving dinner, feminists need to share what we know. Explain that feminism is, by definition, the search for social, political and economic equality between genders. It is, after all, awfully difficult to oppose a movement that is all about equality. Be willing to have difficult conversations. Creating an open dialogue is important in order to find common ground and educate the opposition.

In addition to being willing to hold open discussions about feminism and women’s rights, we can make a positive change by donating our time and money to organizations that advocate for women and minorities, such as Planned Parenthood, the Center for Reproductive Rights, EMILY’s List, NARAL Pro-Choice America and various others. Volunteering and other forms of social participation, such as public rallying and peaceful protesting, can be nearly as influential as voting when it comes to advancing women’s rights.

It is also essential to maintain the image of the feminist movement as one of inclusivity and intersectionality. Be mindful of the concerns of all women; listen to the different experiences and moments of adversity faced by women who come from a plethora of backgrounds. We are all different, but we are stronger together.

Trump’s America can be a place filled with bigotry and contempt. Or, it can be a place filled with love, understanding and tolerance. Although many of us may be deeply disappointed by the outcome of this election, the choice of whether to become divided by our differences or to move forward in solidarity is now ours.