Softball, Sports

Softball’s winning streak snapped following loss to Boston College

Makinna Akers pitched well, but gave up a costly two-run single in the fifth inning that ultimately gave the Eagles the win. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University softball team was looking to continue their winning ways against local foe Boston College on Wednesday night, in hopes of making it four in a row following a series sweep over the College of the Holy Cross this past weekend.

Unfortunately for the Terriers (11-21, 3-3 Patriot League), their hot streak did not carry over, as they dropped the contest 3-1 to the Eagles (24-14).

“We came in feeling good after our series against Holy Cross,” said BU head coach Ashley Waters. “Boston College is a great team, and they are at the top of the ACC. We had to do our best to play our best to have a great game and play a solid seven innings.”

Starting the game on the mound for the Terriers was freshman Lizzie Annerino, who was making her fifth start on the season. She pitched two strong innings while giving up two hits and giving up zero runs, giving the offense an early chance.

However, taking the loss for BU was senior Makinna Akers. She came in during the third inning and surrendered two runs in the fifth and five hits, while also striking out three. The loss brought Akers’ season record to 5-7, and added to her team-leading 22 appearances.

Waters brought in freshman Kali Magane to pitch the final frame, hoping to hold BC’s offense to give her team a chance to tie it in the seventh. The Eagles managed one run and one hit, but struck out two times against Magane.

On the other side, starting the game for the home team was junior Jessica Dreswick. Dreswick is one of the toughest pitchers in the ACC. She came into this game third in ERA and strikeouts and tied for fourth in wins in the conference. She pitched six innings, holding BU to one unearned run and four hits, while striking out eight Terriers. Senior Jordan Weed came into the game in the seventh to pick up the save and shut down BU.

“[Dreswick] obviously has worked hard,” Waters said. “She did a great job. She seems to get better every year. She pounds the zone and comes inside hard, but I was happy she was throwing, as it is great preparation this weekend for [the United States Military Academy]. Every game brings us challenges that we have to face.”

The Terriers got on the board early because of a throwing error that allowed sophomore infielder Alexa Ponce to score the game’s first run in the second inning. This was the only scoring for the Terriers. Despite out-hitting the Eagles, BU did not take advantage of its opportunities.  

The Terriers held on to the lead until the fifth inning, when the Eagles scored two runs to go ahead for good. Senior Tatiana Cortez delivered the fatal blow with a two-run single that scored junior Chloe Sharabba and senior Taylor Coroneos. BC scored its final run on a wild pitch by Magane, adding to its lead as insurance in the last inning.

Looking to rebound from a competitive loss against a tough Eagles team, the Terriers return to action this weekend with a three-game showdown against Patriot League rival Army at home. The Black Knights (27-12, 7-2 Patriot League) are currently second in the conference, trailing Lehigh University by a game, while BU is currently fourth in the Patriot League.

“We’re very excited to face Army this weekend, as they are a top team in our conference,” Waters said. “Last year, our first series against them did not go as planned but we were able to beat them in the league tournament. We need to do our best to take a game or two games from them this weekend.”