BU Hillel announces new executive director

By Ellie French and Abigail Freeman

Boston University Hillel announced Wednesday morning that Jevin Eagle will be its new executive director.

Eagle has worked as a partner at McKinsey and Company Inc., a senior executive at Staples Inc. and is currently seeking rabbinic ordination at the Rabbinical School of Hebrew College in Newton. He has been involved with Hillel since he was 20 years old, and said it has always been a great passion of his.

“BU Hillel is a unique opportunity because BU is one of the most important universities in the world,” Eagle said. “It’s right in the heart of one of the most important cities in the world, and it has one of the largest Jewish student populations of any university in the world so it’s just a unique opportunity to work in a special place.”

Eagle said he is most looking forward to working with new students in his new position.

“It’s the most energizing thing that I do, and the idea of helping students and working with students to find meaning in the world and to do that through engaging our Jewish text and tradition and God — what a gift that is,” Eagle said. “That’s the most fun and most rewarding part of this.”

The Board of Directors of BU Hillel chose Eagle to be executive director after a rigorous hiring process, said Ethan Sobel, the assistant director of BU Hillel.

Eagle’s business experience and dedication to Judaism makes him a good fit for the role of executive director, Sobel said.

“I think that’s what this community needs, and that’s what he will bring to this job: great acumen of how to run a great organization and a great Hillel on campus, and one that can empower the lives of so many students,” Sobel said.