Boston community stands to defend Dreamers

The Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition expresses upset at President Donald Trump’s move to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. PHOTO COURTESY PRESS OFFICE OF MAYOR WALSH

This past Tuesday, the Trump administration announced its intention to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, pressing elected officials and local citizens to denounce the decision.

Since 2012, DACA has allowed undocumented young people to receive multiple benefits and protections, including working legally and attending college, without fearing the risk of arrest or deportation, according to a press release from Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey’s office.

In response to Trump’s declaration, Healey partnered with 16 other attorney generals to file a lawsuit against the administration, serving to protect the nearly 20,000 DACA-eligible residents in Massachusetts, according to the release.

The lawsuit alleges that individuals who have relied on the program are more vulnerable than ever, and the lawsuit seeks to hold the current administration accountable for earlier promises made to Dreamers, according to the release.

Marion Davis, spokesperson for the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, said the organization is troubled by the decision to rescind DACA as it puts approximately 800,000 lives into turmoil.

“A lot of these young people spent many years living in hiding, and quietly watching their parents sneak off to work and try not to draw attention to themselves,” Davis said. “They know what it’s like to live in fear. But, they’ve also gotten used to not constantly having to be. Once you’ve gotten a taste of normal life, it’s very hard to just go back.”

The ultimate solution to rectify the administration’s decision, Davis said, is to pass legislation in Congress.

“We’re still calling on our legislators to pass the Dream Act which would provide a pass to citizenship for these young immigrants, which is something that DACA does not do,” Davis said.

Davis said in addition to vouching for legislation on a national level, MIRA is also striving to have bills passed that would increase protections for undocumented immigrants in Massachusetts, including the Safe Communities Act, which would keep police out of immigration enforcement.

An Le, the policy and communications advisor for Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, wrote in an email that in light of the recent announcement of the recession of DACA, the Mayor’s Office for Immigrant Advancement will continue to work to make the city a more inclusive place.

MOIA is working with other city agencies and community-based organizations to provide information about the policy changes themselves, mental health and wellness resources, and access to legal services,” Le wrote.

MOIA is currently undertaking the public arts campaign “To Immigrants With Love” as part of their efforts to honor the generations of immigrants residing in Boston, according to a press release from Walsh’s office.

District 7 City Councilor Tito Jackson said Trump’s decision to rescind DACA is  “one of the most egregious miscarriages of justice that I have seen from this administration.”

Jackson expressed he is in favor of legislation that would work to shield undocumented immigrants in Massachusetts from either deportation or arrest.

“I put forward legislation at the local level to create sanctuary schools,” Jackson said. “The objective is to ensure that federal agents not enter our public schools buildings, and that the young people, while in the care of Boston Public Schools are safe. I have also put forward legislation that would create an immigrant legal defense fund.”

Boston University spokesman Colin Riley said the school administration will continue to remain supportive of all students, regardless of their immigration status.

“We will not provide information about students who are undocumented unless we’re specifically compelled by a warrant or subpoena,” Riley said. “We do provide some counsel, the City of Boston provides some workshops.”

Several Boston residents voiced their concerns for immigrants who may be affected by the decision to rescind DACA, and expressed frustration with the Trump administration.

Debra Cebulski, 48, of Allston said she is extremely upset with the Trump administration, and is currently making donations to politicians who have pledged to fight for DACA and undocumented immigrants.

“These are children. This is the only home they have ever known. Some of these kids don’t even speak their native languages. Trump is willing to take that away from them. It is not fair, it is not right,” Cebulski said.

Daniel Jackson, 31, of Brighton said Trump is solely representing the interests of a small minority, and his move to end DACA does not align with the ideals of the country.

I think Trump really needs to stop trying to reverse every single thing Obama did from his administration because it sends the message that the country is going in a backwards spiral and he’s not even appeasing his own base,” Jackson said. “This is not a national consensus.”

Rahul Muthalaly, 26, of Kenmore said he can understand why the administration may want to stop DACA, yet believes the changes Trump is attempting to make are taking the country in the wrong direction.

“That’s again all part of the anti-globalist push by the far right in response to what they see is in my opinion, neoconservative [and] neoliberal people who are just opening up to trade to the rest of the world and screwing over their [lower] class here,” Muthalaly said. “And, so obviously, this response I think is a misguided anger.”