Gun violence in Boston is up 25 percent from last year

A man is shot and seriously injured on the Boston Common Tuesday night, which is indicative of Boston’s increasing gun violence. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

The usually scenic and peaceful grounds of the Boston Common were transformed into a crime scene Tuesday evening, with lines of caution tape marking a shooting that left a 19-year-old Hyde Park resident seriously injured, according to The Boston Globe.

Indicative of a larger problem in the state of Massachusetts and the nation at-large, shootings in Boston have been on the rise.

Data published by the Boston Police Department indicates that by Aug. 6 of this year, there has been 151 recorded shootings — both fatal and nonfatal — in Boston, compared to 121 shootings in that same time frame the year before.

Officer Stephen McNulty of the BPD wrote in an email that the police force is not thrown off by the data, and will continue to conduct their normal activity within the neighborhoods of Boston.

“While statistics can certainly fluctuate, I can assure you that we continue to work hard in the communities we serve to make them as safe as possible,” McNulty wrote.

Priscilla Flint-Banks, vice president and co-founder of the Black Economic Justice Institute, said the gun violence issue within the city should be labeled a state of emergency.

“Every other day, every week there’s a funeral of a young person,” Flint-Banks said. “That wears on people’s minds … it’s a public health issue and nobody’s addressing it.”

For Flint-Banks, this issue is personal, as instances of gun violence have taken the life of her nephew, numerous friends in her community and left two of her cousins physically disabled.  

Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, Flint-Banks said, are not only the neighborhoods experiencing the most violence, but are also those most often overlooked. Flint-Banks said she is disappointed in Mayor Martin Walsh in regards to how he has been handling the situation.  

“The Mayor isn’t willing to come into the community and sit down with the people who are on the ground … and try to come up with a comprehensive plan to stop this,” Flint-Banks said. “They claim that they have a plan, but when’s the plan?”

Gun violence is an epidemic across the country, Flint-Banks said, and is rooted in poverty and racism.

“No one wants to listen to the person who’s perceived as the angry black person,” Flint-Banks said. “With everything that’s going on in our community, we have a right to be angry.”

Despite the pervasiveness of the gun violence issue in these neighborhoods, Massachusetts still has the strongest gun violence prevention laws in the nation and the lowest gun death rate of any state in the United States, hinting to a larger, national issue, said Angus McQuilken, co-founder of the Massachusetts Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence.

More than 30,000 people are killed by guns in the U.S. each year, McQuilken said. As the issue of gun violence contributes to this death toll, McQuilken said action is required on the federal level to address it. 

“The epidemic of mass shootings shocks the nation on a very regular basis, but it’s the daily drumbeat of gun violence and the cumulative toll that it’s taking on the lives of American citizens that should be the focus of policymakers,” McQuilken said.

McQuilken said the focus of Massachusetts officials should now be on the enforcement end of the fight to alleviate gun violence in the state, including identifying and cracking down on individuals trafficking in firearms, a market that often fuels gun violence in lower income communities.

Most importantly, McQuilken said the gun violence issue must be understood and addressed as a multifaceted problem.

“No one should be under the illusion that any one approach or any one public policy is going to solve all aspects of this problem,” McQuilken said.

However, McQuilken said efforts to strengthen gun laws will always be challenging.

“We are up against a very determined, well financed and well organized opposition in the National Rifle Association,” McQuilken said. “They represent the interests of gun manufactures; people should be clear headed about that. Their opposition to stronger gun laws is about one thing and one thing only, it’s about the money.”

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article claimed 30,000 people a year are killed in result of gun violence, when actually this statistic includes all deaths as a result of gun fire, whether it be acts of violence, cases of self defense or suicide. 

1. 30,000 people are killed each year in the US because of gun violence the author says? No they aren’t!

There are roughly 11,000 people violently killed by gun violence each year in the US. Roughly 1,000 of those are shootings by police officers. Roughly 500 are self defense shootings of armed individuals defending their life. About 150 are police officers being shot. About 500 are domestic violence shootings. That’s about 2,000 right there. 7,000 are gang on gang violence (Think Chicago). That leaves about 2,000 gun fatalities if you are not a in a gang or a cop. If you are interested, there are roughly 10,000 DUI fatalities a year, roughly 10,000 reckless driving fatalities a year and roughly 4,000 distracted driving fatalities a year. Repeat, if you are not a cop or in a gang you are 12 times more likely to be killed by a person operating a car illegally than a firearm.

To blend in suicide to this argument and call it “gun violence” is irresponsible. Suicide is tragic, but we don’t blame rope, pills and bridges for suicide so stop blaming guns and lumping in suicide as “criminal”

2. The NRA makes an easy target for the writer. While it is accurate that they represent the interest of the firearms industry their greater mission is education and training for legal and safe gun ownership. But it’s too much trouble to actually interview a supporter to get the opposite opinion.

3. Mayor Walsh was at an anti-gun violence community event in Roxbury last week with me and dozens of other community members. We gathered at the Malcolm X park to Jump into Peace with council woman Ayanna Pressley and community member effected by gun violence.