Terriers secure a close win against Dartmouth

Julianna Chen and the Terriers will look to make it three straight when they take on Lehigh. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University Terriers defeated Dartmouth College 1-0 Tuesday night at Nickerson Field. After handing a 6-0 defeat to American University in the first of Patriot League play this season, the Terriers (3-5-2, 1-0 Patriot League) extended their win streak with the victory against the Big Green (4-4-0).

The Terriers opened the game in its traditional manner with offensive aggression. They pestered the Dartmouth defense with an incessant barrage of shots early on. Within just five minutes they shot the ball four times, two of which were on goal.

“We started shooting early on,” head coach Nancy Feldman said. “It got the team going and put is in a good position for the rest of the game … we always emphasize getting shots off and playing aggressive.”

Dartmouth quickly retaliated with one shot and a pair of corner kicks in a brief period as well but found no luck.

The two teams parried back and forth for the another ten minutes or so until junior midfielder Julianna Chen scored the first and only goal of the game. In a skilled maneuver, Chen evaded a defender and launched a left-footed strike at the goal that found the back of the net.

“It was one of the prettiest goals I’ve seen in our team play,” Feldman said. “She made a very skilled move that gave us a goal early on.”

Following the lone goal of the game, the Terriers relentlessly attacked the goal for the remainder of the half. Looking not only to cushion its lead with another goal, BU’s offensive limited the Big Green to a meager one shot in the first half.

“Offensive aggression is a strategy for the whole season,”  Feldman said. “There’s no individual strategy per game … we highlight the need to always attack each game.”

The second half featured a stalemate of play, but the Terriers still outperformed Dartmouth during the half. The Terriers outshot the Big Green 15-4 throughout the course of the game.  

On the other half of the field, BU held its composure when Dartmouth managed to sneak past its defense and launch a shot. Freshman goalie Amanda Fay deflected all three of the Big Green’s shots on goal.

“We played a very well-rounded game,” Feldman said. “I really liked the individual confidence we played with.”

The Terriers will play their second Patriot League game this Saturday against Lehigh University. The team looks to maintain its poised and aggressive strategy in hopes to carry their energy forward.

“To win against Dartmouth is great momentum for us,” Feldman said. “After the win [against American] and to come out and play the way we did today is a great sign for us. It shows that we’re playing well.”

After a slow start in the beginning of the season, the Terriers really needed a couple wins to get them going. The recently garnered momentum could help them for the upcoming slate of league games.

“It’s a good sign,”  Feldman said. “We’re headed in the right direction.”