Other

The Daily Free Press launches inaugural Snapchat Publisher Story

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

THE DAILY FREE PRESS LAUNCHES INAUGURAL SNAPCHAT PUBLISHER STORY

BOSTON, MA (October 6, 2017) — The Daily Free Press will launch its inaugural Snapchat Publisher Story today at noon. In a collaborative effort between Snapchat and The FreeP, these new Stories aim to connect students to the Boston University community through one of the most popular social media platforms for college students.

Snapchat users will be able to access the story four different ways:

• On the Snapchat Discover page
  • On users’ Stories page
  • By searching “The Daily Free Press” on the Stories page
  • By scanning a Snapcode that will take users directly to the story

For users geographically located on BU’s campus, the story will appear on the Stories page for 48 hours. After 48 hours, users can access the story on the Snapchat Discover page for a full week until a new story is published. New stories will be available every Friday at noon EST.

Under the leadership of The FreeP’s Editor-in-Chief, Lexi Peery, a small team of editors, illustrators and animators create the content for the new vertical, over half of which is original and created specifically for Snapchat.

“For years, The Daily Free Press has been a physical staple of campus and city news for Boston University, so we are excited to be able to bring that to a popular mobile platform that’s already used by so many students,” says Peery. “With Snapchat Publisher Stories, we hope to interact more with the campus community in a fun and entertaining way while living up to the newspaper’s new slogan: ‘You deserve an independent voice.’”

Snapchat began publishing stories for a handful of college newspapers at schools including Berkeley, Texas A&M and Syracuse last month, according to Business Insider. It is the first time Snapchat has allowed less established media companies to publish on the Discover page.

About The Daily Free Press
Founded on May 5, 1970 by Boston University students, The Daily Free Press is the only independent student newspaper at BU. It is published digitally Mondays through Fridays and printed on Thursdays during the academic year except during vacation and exam periods by Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. The FreeP serves as an independent voice for the BU community, covering news on campus and around the City of Boston.

About Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc.
Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. is a nonprofit Massachusetts corporation operated by Boston University students. The BBPC’s Board of Directors is made up of former Daily Free Press editors and is responsible for the publishing and general business management of the paper, as well as the appointment and oversight of the editorial board.

Contact
Christy Osler
Public Relations Chair
Back Bay Publishing, Co., Inc.
cosler@bu.edu