EDITORIAL: Education should be a priority in fighting the ongoing opioid crisis

The escalating opioid crisis has taken the lives of thousands across New England. In order to combat the epidemic, the City has implemented several initiatives in past years, including sponsoring a number of prevention programs and recovery services for those struggling with addiction. While progress has been made, there is still much work to be done in confronting the issue, which has been going for several decades.

Boston officials launched an opioid awareness campaign Wednesday called “#ResistTheRisk,” in an effort to raise awareness about the risks associated with overuse. The campaign features four ads — all aimed at preventing young adults from abusing addictive drugs. The ads will be featured on MBTA Red and Orange Line trains, as well as on buses and billboards throughout the city.

However, despite having well-intentioned efforts, the campaign misses the mark in educating the public about the crisis and adds to pre-existing stigma surrounding opioid addicts. One of the ads shows the tombstones of two deceased opioid addicts, and a blank one reading “keep your name off the next headstone.” This almost perpetuates the idea that opioid addiction is a choice, rather than a very real illness. Claiming these ads are more of a preventative measure, aimed at those who are not addicted to these drugs, ignores the significant percentage of Bostonians who are.

In reality, many people are prescribed opioids by their doctors to treat their pain, only later falling into the trap of addiction, through no fault of their own. Opioid addiction is a severe illness, and by suggesting the crisis is in any way a result of poor decisions made by young people only serves to demean and neglect those afflicted. We must address the problem for what it truly is if we want to see progress.

Ads that resonate effectively with young people are ones that not only have a “scare factor,” but also serve to educate and inform the public — like the Truth Initiative’s anti-tobacco campaign, featuring anecdotes of chronic smokers narrating their lives after diagnosis, often depicted with breathing stomas. These scarring stories deliver strong messages about the risks associated with smoking, especially in regards to health. These ads are powerful, and leave viewers feeling disturbed and compelled to do something about it.

Such tactics tap into the emotions of viewers and may even result in action, which is the ultimate goal in this kind of campaign. Moreover, phrasing like “be the generation that stops smoking” galvanizes support and fosters a sense of community in putting an end to the habit. This campaign strikes a balance in being informational and influential in getting people to quit.

The opioid ads, however, though certainly attempting to use these kind of scare tactics, fail to have a strong emotional impact on passerby. The way they are designed simply would not convince young people to change their behaviors. And while the T is certainly an effective place to display these ads and target a young audience, the content of the ads themselves needs to be repurposed in a more impactful way.

Critics, including many scientists and doctors, have found the ads problematic, as they present misleading information about the nature and consequences of substance abuse. One of the ads depicts an infant attached to feeding tubes as a result of their opioid addicted mother. Not only is this treatment rare for addicted babies, but it is actually not even the appropriate way of assisting pregnant women with an opioid use disorder. Rather, the solution for pregnant women in the case of addiction is to not abruptly withdraw from opioid use, which could lead to aggravated problems for the child. Moreover, this ignorance exacerbates the stigma surrounding the opioid crisis, further dissuading people to reach out for help.  

An educational component that is well-researched and relevant could add gravitas to the campaign. A motivation to inform the public should be the driving factor in curating these ads. While the intention of educating the public is transparent in the ads, the campaign needs a stronger focus and message. If Boston is serious about these changes, it should adopt a tone that is serious as well. The comic, almost cheesy nature of the #ResistTheRisk ads fails to strike a chord with viewers, allowing them to dismiss it as something that would never happen to them. In order to truly effect change in the opioid crisis, the campaign should present facts and stories that would leave people with a thought-provoking message.

In the future, campaigns should list support services and offer solutions to battling opioid addiction. There are a countless number of resources in the Boston area that provide treatment services to guide addicts on the road to recovery. In this way, those who are already addicted can find the information useful for their own purposes, or even prompt them to make a phone call and get help.

These ads should not only present relevant and accurate statistics and facts, but also include solutions and direct places where addicts can find support. Raising awareness is only half the battle. If we want to see real progress in efforts to alleviate those diagnosed with opioid addiction, then providing solutions is integral to a better and brighter future.