FreeP vs. Food: French fries

By Amelia Griffiths, Madison Frilot, Sam Drysdale and Gursimar Sawhney

Fries with a side of “special sauce” from Saus restaurant in downtown Boston. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Saus

Located on a cobblestone side street in the North End, Saus was an intriguing first stop on our french fry trek. Its modern, fun interior is hidden by a monochromatic facade that matches the many pubs and markets surrounding it.

We were pleasantly surprised by the ‘80s pop music soundtrack and the colorful art that covered the walls, and the wooden floors and countertops emphasized the space’s relaxing vibe.

Though the menu provided 14 different variety of side sauces, we chose the “secret saus,” their most popular dip, which cost 75 cents. The “saus” was delicious with a creamy texture infused with flavorful spices.

The fries, which ranged in price from $5 for petite to $7 for big, were not as impressive. They lacked the flavor and crispiness we had expected and tasted later that day. Though Saus has received various awards for their french fries, we think their fries would be better enjoyed as a compliment to one of their main dishes, rather than as a destination delicacy.

Saus was worth traveling to for a quirky experience in a great part of town, but next time we’ll opt for one of their mouth-watering Belgian waffles instead.

Amelia’s Rating: B

Madison’s Rating: B-

Sam’s Rating: B

Gursimar’s Rating: B+

Traditional fries and ketchup from Tasty Burger. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Tasty Burger

Our next stop was Tasty Burger, a classic American chain. Upon entrance, you’re transported back to the 1950s. There was a retro pool table right behind where we sat, and a bowling tournament playing on TV.

The fries were thin and crispy, but obviously mass produced. They weren’t served with any special sauces, but typical choices were available at the table for all the dunking and dousing we desired.

The fries were somewhat McDonald’s-esque, delivered to the table almost immediately, mimicking their fast-food shoestring style and saltiness. There wasn’t as much tender love and care put into these fries as we saw at some of the other locations. However, they were crazy cheap, at $2.27 for a regular size.

By no means were these fries bad — they simply just did not stand out. If you’re looking for a staple fry without any bells and whistles, Tasty Burger has the fries for you.

Amelia’s Rating: C+

Madison’s Rating: C

Sam’s Rating: C

Gursimar’s Rating: C+

The garlic and parmesan fries from Boston Burger Co. offered a unique flavor and twist on typical home-style french fries. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston Burger Co.

On the third stop of our french fry tour, we were soaked from the rainy day outside and ready for some warm, delicious fries to heat us up from the inside out with crispy, salty goodness. The 45-minute wait for our food at Boston Burger Co. was not ideal. However, the restaurant’s great location on Boylston made it easy for us to kill time while waiting.

Once inside, the atmosphere was fun and upbeat. With the combination of music-themed decor and crazy, towering, Instagram-worthy milkshakes, the David Bowie quote painted on the wall: “I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring,” seemed fitting for Boston Burger Co.

The fries were unique and flavorful. It was a french-fry-reviewer’s dream to open the menu to a whole section labeled “fries” with 13 different options to choose from. We settled on the Garlic Parm variation and were not disappointed.

Thickly cut wedges were smothered in butter, and every bite was full of flavor. It’s no surprise that the restaurant has been featured on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.” However, our excitement was dampened a little when we realized that one order of fries was going to cost us $9.50.

Boston Burger Co.’s atmosphere and food won our hearts, but wait time and cost brought us back to the sad reality of a college schedule and budget. It is absolutely worth returning to for a special occasion visit.

Amelia’s Rating: A-

Madison’s Rating: B+

Sam’s Rating: A-

Gursimar’s Rating: B+

The truffle fries from Roxy’s, in Allston, shown with a side of truffle mayo, balanced just the right amount of crispy texture and flavor. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Roxy’s Grilled Cheese

Roxy’s Grilled Cheese, one of many popular restaurants in Allston, should definitely not be ignored. After tasting their fries, we couldn’t imagine what else they would have in store with their wide variety of both vegan and non-vegan grilled cheese and burger options.

The atmosphere was perfect for a Sunday afternoon snack — Atari video games lining the yellow-striped wall and classic board games stacked on a shelf in the exposed kitchen added to the laid-back vibe. Exposed ducts and metal chairs created a unique retro look.

Carefully crafted and full of flavor, Roxy’s take on this classic were our favorites by far. Their hand-cut shoestring fries are first fried in truffle oil, then tossed with a generous helping of sea salt, rosemary and garlic.

Presentation-wise, the fries spoke for themselves: perfectly crisp, toasty brown and evenly coated with seasoning. Paired with truffle mayo — you can never have too much truffle — these fries carried a subtle, perfectly orchestrated flavor. The garlic was not overdone, and the fried rosemary added another layer of depth.

The truffle oil can get a tad heavy, but we would easily make the compromise again. At $4 a serving, the size was satisfying and definitely worth the price.

Amelia’s Rating: A

Madison’s Rating: A+

Sam’s Rating: A+

Gursimar’s Rating: A+

This is an account occasionally used by the Daily Free Press editors for posts with multiple authors or otherwise for special circumstance publications. See authorship info on the byline at the top of the page.

1. Gursimar- you are a very talented writer. I feel as though I was eating the fries while reading your story. Thank you for the experience.