BU students caught speeding with alcohol, drugs

Two Boston University students were arrested near Thetford, Vermont on Saturday afternoon after state police troopers found alcohol, marijuana edibles and fake identifications in their car, which had been speeding at 105 miles per hour.

The two 19-year-olds, Christopher Moore and Marcelo Arana, both members of BU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, were traveling with two females when they got pulled over at around 4:15 p.m.

Troopers took Arana into custody for negligent operation of the vehicle and reckless endangerment, according to a Vermont State Police press release. After searching the car, police arrested Moore for possession of a regulated prescription drug.

Troopers found open alcohol containers and fake identification cards in the vehicle. The two female passengers were not arrested.

The four occupants of the car were given diversion notices regarding underage consumption and possession of alcohol as well as for possession of marijuana products, according to the release. Arana and Moore were released with an order to appear in Orange County Court in June.

“I am extremely sorry for what happened,” Arana said in a statement to The Daily Free Press. “Unfortunately, the police press release is not accurate. I did not possess a fake identification nor was I in possession of, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I was unaware of the [marijuana] edibles and narcotic[s] that were found on my passengers.”

Moore did not respond to requests for comment.

Leadership at Pi Kappa Alpha’s Lambda Nu chapter at BU is currently reviewing the incident, according to a statement from Brent Phillips, the fraternity’s chief marketing officer. The chapter’s judicial board will look to the fraternity’s standards and bylaws to decide how to hold Moore and Arana accountable.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated all four travelers were found with fake identifications, but police later clarified not every traveler was in possession of a fake identification. Police didn’t release further information about how many fake identifications they found or who they belonged to. An updated version reflects this change.

1. News reporting these days have gone absurd. Was it even necessary to state “who goes by _____ on social media” or that they were members of so and so? Just get straight to the facts and move on.

• The reporting is NOT “absurd” at all. Mentioning how the student is also known and what organizations he/they are associated with reflects thoroughness in this reporting. It also helps raise awareness about behaviors that should be avoided and in what context they happen. Kudos to this reporting.

2. #FreeMoore. He’s a good kid from a good family. He fluces babes!!!! Let the kid ride!!!! FreetheHomie!!!!! FUCK 12.

3. I’m sorry as a praent I feel these kids should be put away for a long time