Jewish Bostonians see rising trend of anti-Semitism nationwide but not in Boston area

Temple Ohabei Shalom in Brookline. In the wake of the deadly shooting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Saturday, Jewish residents of Boston and Brookline have reported seeing rising levels of anti-Semitism in America. COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

In light of the Saturday shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the Jewish community in Boston is focusing on furthering its messages of love and togetherness.

Despite reporting that they have seen a recent increase in anti-Semitism across the country, several Jewish community members in the Greater Boston area said they are thankful that they have not experienced this kind of hate in Boston.

Cantor Roy Einhorn, who has been working at Temple Israel of Boston for the past 35 years, said anti-Semitism is a “xenophobic fear” that needs to be combated with teachings of equality.

“We need to try to teach within the school system, within our society, that everyone has equal rights,” Einhorn said. “Everyone should have equal rights and live in peace and to be able to worship in the way that they are comfortable worshipping, in freedom and safety.”

Temple Israel, which Einhorn said has had a guard stationed outside for several years, is taking extra precautions to keep its attendees as safe as possible after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting.

“We felt that it was important to have that security measure,” Einhorn said. “It’s an unfortunate thing, but I think it’s something that will be adopted by many synagogues across the United States moving forward.”

Rabbi Shmuel Posner of the Chabad House of Greater Boston said he is aware of the growing resurgence of anti-Semitism around the world and the nation but has not experienced any anti-Semitism in Boston.

“Here in Boston, particularly, I haven’t encountered it at all, any rise of anti-Semitism,” Posner said. “Not personally, not from the students or other community members. So I don’t see that in [my] personal life, but [I am] obviously concerned with the general trend that’s rising.”

Posner said Jewish Americans need to take this time to celebrate their beliefs and their heritage.

“You should be proud of who you are because what these people, these evil people, are trying to do is to eradicate us, destroy us and push us down” Posner said. “We have to stand taller, prouder and be even more expressive of who we are as Jewish people. Know you have something valuable and be proud of who you are.”

Joel Rosenberg, associate professor and director of Judaic studies at Tufts University, said he was horrified by the shooting. Like Einhorn, Rosenberg said he thinks the best way to fight anti-Semitism in the United States is by promoting teachings of love in schools and places of worship across the nation.

“We just have to keep plugging and keep at it and try to teach a message of love and reform and progress for our society,” Rosenberg said. “If we do that, we will be in relatively good shape compared to much of the rest of the world.”

Adejha Caldwell, 18, of Dorchester, said she blames the current political climate for the escalation of hate crimes against minority groups.

“Especially with the president being who the president is,” she said, “it makes everyone seem like it’s OK to [express their hate toward certain groups] in the open.”

Jacob Fohtung, 27, of Cambridge, said he believes in the message of equality and that everyone has the right to worship whatever they want to worship.   

“We have to have honest conversations — understand that people have different opinions about different issues, but we should honor people, respect their religion,” Fohtung said. “So much progress has been done, but a lot has to be acknowledged, and we still need to resolve some hate that is still going on around Boston.”