Wake Me Up Boston: Navigating the city through the lens of autumn

As we head into November, Boston’s abundant display of foliage continues to impress, even though the crisp days of autumn are nearing an end. October came and went (rather quickly), and with its passing, we can officially say goodbye to the Halloween hype and hello to a serious appreciation of fall — before the winter blues officially kick in. With the sun setting at 4:30 p.m., chillier temperatures seem to be the natural progression. I refuse to succumb to this sad reality. Instead, I’m enjoying what is left of the New England autumnal glory by exploring every corner of Boston, savoring the outdoor scenery that makes this charming city so special.

Let’s start with the Boston Common and the Public Garden, two picturesque parks that are connected to each other via an ornate bridge that crosses over a pond. It’s perfect for strolling with a steaming espresso in hand and admiring the greenery that Boston preserves so well. Maple trees galore tower over you in flaming colors, painting a vibrant canvas of fall for all those who come to observe. A colorful assortment of leaves smatter the grass along your leisurely walk, accessories to an already beautiful landscape.

Once you’re ready to move on, the historic Charles Street of the Beacon Hill neighborhood awaits, where stately homes line a hilly street with more golden foliage to be seen. The streets of Beacon Hill are quiet yet magical, an escape from common modernity and a glimpse back in time to the Victorian era. If you’re in the mood to dabble with some antiques, this is the place for you.   

Moving toward Boston University’s campus, in between Kenmore Square and the beginning of Newbury Street, an underrated boulevard lies in the heart of Back Bay. It stems across an entire block, a long strip of magnolia trees that turn to rich shades of red and yellow in the fall. I’ve often passed it while driving en route to somewhere else, but only recently have I given it the full attention it deserves.

Getting closer, behind our beloved Commonwealth Avenue campus, is the area of Fenway, most commonly known as Red Sox territory. Although baseball taverns and various vendors are the established norm here at first glance, if you navigate your way a little deeper, you can find adorable hidden gardens in the Back Bay Fens area. Private pathways trail along the area, offering their own taste of flaming colors in the form of plants, shrubbery and trees. It feels similar to a casual wander in a New England residential backyard, a relaxing getaway from some of the more populated sites to see foliage.

And of course, we are all more than familiar with the Charles River Esplanade, which we are lucky enough to be situated directly on through the BU Beach entrance. It serves as the perfect backdrop to the hustle and bustle of Commonwealth Avenue and reaches its heightened grandeur during the months of October and November. A light jog or bike ride along the Charles River can be just what your Boston foliage tour needs — truly a breathtaking experience with the contrast between the blue water and the reflection of the trees’ fiery hues.

The more time I spend in Boston, the more I understand the fluidity of all its neighborhoods and areas — an interconnected playground for adventure. The walkable nature of Boston is what makes its friendly personality come alive, enhanced by the natural beauty of the city itself,  especially in the months of autumn.

Coffee is my lifeline, every morning, afternoon and night—and occasionally in between. Find me café hopping with my nose buried in a book and a cappuccino by my side for good company. I’ll never pass up a chance to explore this adventure-packed city and its unique, bustling yet mellow culture.