BUPD officer passes away on Thanksgiving

Boston University Police Department officer Ronald Gately died Thursday morning.

His cause of death has not been released, but Gately had previously been diagnosed with cancer. In close to four months, 360 people raised $32,115 for his medical expenses on the fundraising website GoFundMe as of Thursday morning.

Gately worked at BUPD for 21 years and was a police instructor for more than 30 years, according to posts by BUPD Chief Kelly Nee on the department’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, as well as a post on the department’s Twitter account.

Nee described Gately as “a mentor to thousands of Police Officers across the Commonwealth.”

“Ron’s way of living and teaching has touched many and he will be greatly missed,” Nee wrote.

Jennifer Small is a junior in the Boston University College of Communication, majoring in journalism and minoring in media science. She is one of the Co-Campus News Editors for Spring 2023.

1. “I was saddened to hear Ron Gately passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the BU community.

2. I have known Ron for 33 years. He was my instructor for the first 13. He is a wonderful person. Please, everyone, keep his wife, children, and grandchildren in your thoughts and prayers. Ron will always hold a special place in my heart.

3. Patrick Glynn, Lieutenant Det. Quincy PD

Ron, was a great guy. He treated everyone he met with respect. There are many officers protecting the public and themselves that Ron trained with his unique style. It was an honor to know Ron and call him a friend and fellow brother officer. Please remember him and his family during this difficult time for all.