Bully Pulpit: Opinions are bendable, but the truth must be spoken

Starting a podcast might appear to be beating a drum that has been beaten time and time again. While podcasts can be intriguing and fun, the famous ones are almost exclusively hosted by famous people. Sometimes outsiders can break into the mainstream market, but it’s rare.

We listen to podcasts while driving and cooking and before we go to bed. For some, it’s the way they prefer to get their news. For others, it fills an entertainment void in their lives. Whatever the case may be, we are certainly getting a lot of opinions from a lot of different people.

I have minimal experience podcasting. I’m starting to learn that it’s difficult to sit down with someone else and freely say what’s on your mind. In many respects, podcasting is a lot like writing an opinion column. You may write something, but the full truth is rarely ever shown.

I’ve taken this realization and applied it to the podcasts that I listen to. Are the hosts expressing exactly what they believe in? Probably not.

This relates to how college students are suppressed from sharing their opinions in this era of politics. Those who are not completely aligned with leftist values will be scrutinized. The argument that college fosters an environment to bounce ideas off of one another is completely false.

Professors constantly spew anti-Trump messages, and while that may seem normal, it completely disregards the almost 63 million people that voted for him. I may not be a huge fan, but when argument after argument circles back to Trump, it gets annoying.

Telling the truth is purely circumstantial. In college, it’s wise to not always speak your mind when you agree with a Trump action or opinion. Bringing up the fact the economy is performing well will likely cause “whataboutism,” where opponents will bring up something Trump has done that — in their hyperbole — will ultimately be the collapse of society as we know it.

Standing up for yourself in this day and age in college is rare. I am not a Trump supporter. I think he’s a big lummox who should pipe down most of the time. However, I have been the only one in all of my classes at this fine institution to refute and counter what my classmates say when it is warranted.

I believe there are Trump supporters here, but they have been silenced by their peers and professors. They have been mentally silenced through the majority opinion of Boston University students.

Let your thoughts be known because right now, there are virtually no students challenging each other’s opinions on anything. It’s one giant group of people patting themselves on the back for being progressive and hating the same person, often without knowing a lot of policy decisions made.

I have to resort to hearing family members’ opinions on the matter to get a viewpoint different than my own.

I don’t care what your politics are. If you think Trump is a great president, let me know why. Take pride in what you believe in because, at the end of the day, I won’t respect or hate you more or less because of your political opinion. We all have freedom of speech, so let’s use it.