Behind the Glass: 5 Terriers are headed to the NHL

Jack Eichel with the Buffalo Sabers in April 2016. Just like Joel Farabee, Eichel left the BU men’s hockey team after his freshman year to play in the NHL. WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

At a school like Boston University, there are often times when the NCAA intersects with the NHL. It becomes especially obvious that BU’s hockey team is a funnel into the NHL every spring once the Terriers’ season comes to an end. With the prospect of winning an NCAA title out of the picture, players look toward an even bigger goal, the potential of a Stanley Cup win.

In the span of two days, five BU players have signed with NHL teams — captain Bobo Carpenter signed with the New York Islanders, captain Dante Fabbro with the Nashville Predators, assistant captain and goaltender Jake Oettinger with the Dallas Stars, assistant captain Chad Krys with the Chicago Blackhawks and forward Joel Farabee with the Philadelphia Flyers.

It’s interesting to think how in the span of 24 hours these players go from students playing hockey to full-time hockey players. Just thinking about it reminds me of a tweet that had circulated after defenseman Charlie McAvoy signed a contract with the Bruins about how he had to go back to his on-campus apartment to get something before a game.

From a student to a full-time player, without looking back.

As a BU student, it’s hard to wrap my brain around the fact that these individuals I go to school with just get plucked up by NHL teams one day, and off they go, living their childhood dreams of becoming professional hockey players.

With that being said, let’s take a look at the now former BU Terriers that have recently penned contracts with their respective NHL teams.

Starting off with captain Dante Fabbro, it came as no surprise that he would be off to the Nashville Predators as soon as BU’s season ended. He was drafted 17th overall in the 2016 draft, and as a junior and co-captain, the defenseman has finally decided to lace up his skates to play in Nashville.

By the end of this past season, he had notched 33 points for the Terriers, which was the second highest number on the team. He has signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Predators.

Senior captain Bobo Carpenter has signed a two-year, entry-level contract with the New York Islanders. The Massachusetts native had 19 points for the Terriers this season, but in the 2017-18 season, tied for most points on the team.

Junior defenseman Chad Krys is another individual that has announced he’s headed to play in the NHL. Krys has signed a three-year contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. Selected in 2016, he has finally decided to leave collegiate play and begin his full-time career. He scored eight goals for the Terriers this season, which was his highest in his time at BU.

At the conclusion of the 2017-18 season, it was speculated that goaltender Jake Oettinger would fly south for the spring to join the team that drafted him in the first round, the Dallas Stars. The junior stuck around one more season before signing a three-year, entry-level contract with Dallas. With 13 shutouts this season, he tied BU’s record. He will be playing out the rest of the season for the Stars’ AHL team.

As the youngest player of the group, freshman Joel Farabee has decided to forgo playing in the NCAA any longer and has signed an entry-level contract with the Gritty-loving Philadelphia Flyers. Drafted 14th overall in 2018, Farabee led the Terriers in a variety of categories, including points and goals. His 36 points made a major contribution to the Terriers this season, going far from unnoticed.

The last time a BU Terrier left after freshman year, well, his name was Jack Eichel.