Sports

Women’s soccer team ready to build on last season success

The Boston University women’s soccer team rushes Nickerson Field after a win in November 2018. MADISON EPPERSON/ DFP FILE

The 2018 season was an incredibly successful one for the Boston University women’s soccer team (11-7-3, 7-0-2 Patriot League). They clinched their second outright regular season title and went on to win the Patriot League championship in postseason, defeating Lehigh University in the finals.

Coach Nancy Feldman won the Patriot League Head Coach of the Year award. Sophomore midfielder Taylor Kofton was named Patriot Rookie of the Year and included in the All-Star Patriot Third Team. 

Now, graduated midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett was named to the All-Star Patriot first team with Anna Heilferty, who won the Patriot League MVP award. The recently graduated senior defender duo Chelsea Churchill and Libby Closson were both named to the Second Team.

The team is hoping to build on its stellar season and make it to the NCAA tournament again.  

The reigning Patriot League MVP, Heilferty, will be one to watch out for, as she leads the team from the front. On average they allowed only 6.1 shots per game from league competitors, but, with many of the defensive linchpins graduating, ensuring the backline remains tight will be one of coach Feldman’s biggest priorities.