Sports

Women’s soccer to take on Holy Cross for a deciding game

The Boston University women’s soccer team during a game against West Point Military Academy on Nov. 2. The Terriers could potentially be playing their last game this season against Holy Cross this Wednesday at Nickerson Field. MAISIE MANSFIELD-GREENWALD/ DFP FILE

The Boston University women’s soccer team (5-9-2, 2-3-1 PL) will take on the College of the Holy Cross (3-3-7, 1-1-4 PL) Wednesday at 7 p.m. for their interconference matchup. The game will be held at Nickerson Field and is the last home game of the regular season for the team — it could also possibly be the last match at Nickerson Field for the season.

The Terriers are coming off a tough 1-0 loss to Colgate University on Saturday, which also happened to be Senior Night. After losing three straight games, BU will be looking to turn the tide on Wednesday.

With playoffs looming, BU finds itself in a tough spot. They are eighth in the division as of now, two places out of the playoffs that only the top six teams qualify for. With Holy Cross currently sitting in seventh place, it will be a high-stakes game. The mental and physical aggression will be high and make for an entertaining match regardless of who comes out on top.

The Crusaders are also coming off of a loss this Saturday after traveling to Pennsylvania to play Lehigh University. That match broke their 10-game winning streak so the team will be hungry to change their momentum heading into postseason play.

But history is in BU’s favor. The Terriers have won their past nine games against the Crusaders with a 9-1-0 record.

After the game against Harvard University, BU head coach Nancy Feldman said one goal for the game was to get the younger, less experienced players into the game to help them build confidence. But, with a playoff spot up for grabs, it seems likely that the coaching staff will play a full strength team.

After this game, the Terriers will finish up the regular season with two away games, both of which are fellow Patriot League schools. The first is against the No. 1 seeded U.S. Naval Academy, and the second is in Easton, Pennsylvania where the Terriers will take on Lafayette University, currently in the sixth seed. Although wins will be hard earned these next couple games, BU is up to the task and hopes to lock in a spot in the Patriot League playoffs.