Terriers’ season ends with 1-2 loss at Lafayette

In their last game of the regular season, BU women’s soccer (5-12-2, 2-6-1) took a heartbreaking loss against Lafayette University that saw the Leopards erase a 0-1 deficit within the last ten minutes of the game to collect the 2-1 win.

Senior Shannon Keefe, shown in a Sept. 25 game against Stony Brook University, notched her third goal of the season in the loss to Lafayette College on Saturday. MAISIE MANSFIELD-GREENWALD

The first half did not see any damage from either team as the sheets stayed clean at 0-0 after 45 minutes, but BU did get good looks early in the half.

In the sixth minute, senior midfielder Chloee Sagmoe had Leopard goalkeeper Maggie Pohl mispositioned on the left side of the net. Her strike towards the unguarded right side hit the pole of the net and deflected out of bounds.

In the 31st minute, Kelly took a shot from outside the box that almost hit the top shelf of the Lafayette net. The shot sailed too high and went out of bounds.

The second half had quiet action from both sides, but most of the noise would come in the last ten minutes.

In the 80th minute with the sheets clean, senior forward Shannon Keefe broke the long-frozen ice by tallying her third goal of the season. In Leopard territory, freshman forward Julianna Stureman rolled a through ball to Keefe and Keefe struck the top left corner of the net to put the Terriers up 1-0.

With the Leopards needing a full three points after the afternoon in order to secure a Patriot League playoff spot, they rose to the occasion and scored two goals within six minutes of one another.

The first of two goals came in the 81st minute from Leopard midfielder Riley Dowd, who took a pass from teammate forward Krista Kissell and struck the top left corner of the net in close-range.

Lafayette now had nine minutes left if they wanted to end in regulation and punch their ticket to the playoffs. If they didn’t win this game, they would have had to hope for loss/tie by Colgate University against The United States Military Academy.

In the 85th minute, junior forward Anna Heilferty had a good look on the Lafayette net, but her shot went wide. Just a minute later, the Leopards would shock BU and take a 2-1 lead right before their eyes.

At the 86:21 mark, Lafayette midfielder Sophie Salvidar put the dagger on the game and consequently the Terriers’ season. Salvidar shot from the right corner in BU territory and junior goalkeeper Amanda Fay couldn’t dive in front of it in time.

The game ended with a 2-1 score in favor of Lafayette, who won their first game against the Terriers ever, since joining the Patriot League in 2013. BU who were considered the preseason favorites in the Patriot League did not make a playoff appearance.