Women’s basketball to take two-game road trip against UC Davis

If you’re looking for California things to do this weekend – the Boston University women’s basketball team will travel to the Golden State to take on the University of California Davis on Thursday.

The Terriers (3-2) start a two-game road trip in California following a week off from competition. This will be BU’s first game in California since 2003. It will also be the Terriers’ first matchup with UC Davis (2-5) in program history.

The Aggies have been inconsistent this season and unable to get a winning streak going. They come into this game against BU fresh off a 70-76 loss against Portland State University. The Terriers are currently undefeated on the road this season.

BU head coach Marisa Moseley attributes her team’s success on the road to its ability to focus in other arenas.

“I think we’ve just been really locked into our game plan on the road,” Moseley said. “I think our kids have just known what we have wanted to do both offensively and defensively and we’ve been able to execute.”

Despite having difficulty winning so far, UC Davis has some weapons, starting with head coach Jennifer Gross, who was named the Big West Conference Coach of the Year in each of the last three seasons. Gross has led the Aggies to 156 wins over the last eight years, with 97 of those wins coming from the last four seasons, according to UC Davis athletic website.

Aggies redshirt senior guard Katie Toole leads the team with 18.6 points per game, coming in second in the Big West. Toole leads the conference in shooting percentage (.612) and three-point field goal percentage (56.5).

Moseley said the game will be a good test for BU and a chance to contain the Aggies’ offensive threats, as well as execute strong offense on the other end.

“I think, you know, they have come up short some of their competitions thus far, but I think they’re a really well-coached team and I think they have some really nice players,” Moseley said. “ I think a lot of times, you know, we’ve been playing some pretty good defense, but then it’s being able to put points on the board.”

BU’s strongest offensive optionis senior forward Nia Irving, who is leading the team with an average of 15.2 points per game. Irving is also averaging a team-high seven rebounds per game.

BU freshman guard Sydney Johnson has had a stellar start to the season, ranking second behind Irving in points per game (10.8) and leading the team in steals per game (2.4).

Moseley said each year when new players are brought in, there is always an adjustment period where players begin to learn how to play off each other. But, he added that this group has done a good job of finding rhythm with one another.

“I think our kids have done a really nice job of melding together, but I think there’s always still going to be room for improvement, and you know, what I just told them today is we have really good people so that goes a long way,” Moseley said.

Moseley also said it is important to stay present and not think too much into the future.

“I think big picture is just trying to every day to get a little bit better, not looking too far ahead, but knowing that we do have goals to be really good once we get to conference, but being young, we have to really focus on the here and now,” Moseley said.