Boston considers suicide prevention measures in parking garages

In the wake of several recent suicides in the city, the Boston City Council is considering requiring parking garage owners to implement safety measures such as railings to block potential attempts of jumping from the high rooftops.

Council President Kim Janey and Councilor Ed Flynn introduced the legislation in response to the deaths of five people on different occasions at the Renaissance Park Garage at Northeastern University.

The Boston City Council will vote on legislation to require high-rise parking garage owners to outfit their roofs with railings and other safety measures to prevent suicide attempts. DANIEL KOOL/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The cases included an apparent double murder-suicide of a mother and her two children on Christmas Day and the suicide of a 22-year-old college student who died after his girlfriend had allegedly pressured him to end his life. 

In early January, Boston police also stopped a man from jumping off a six-story garage in Brighton.

Kelley Cunningham, director of the suicide prevention program at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, said one of the most important things to understand about suicide is how complex it is.

“There are generally multiple situations going on at the time of the person’s death,” Cunningham said. “So, for instance, we say that mental health issues are the number one circumstance, but not everybody with a mental health crisis is going to be suicidal.”

Cunningham said several possible risk factors — including mental health, substance abuse and some form of loss — can contribute to suicidal thoughts and attempts. 

“I could go on and on [about] risk factors, because you could say just about anything [that] can put a person at risk for suicide,” Cunningham said. “But it really comes down to the resiliency of the individual and how they’re able to handle each of those crises, and how they don’t let them pile up and they are handling those situations as they come in. But that’s not always possible for people.”

Cunningham said that one of the most important steps members of the Boston community can take is to not be afraid to talk about suicide. 

“You know, with a lot of folks you say the word ‘suicide’ and they cringe, they walk away,” Cunningham said. “But by talking about it, by letting people know that it’s okay to say ‘I’m struggling and I could use some support,’ and also to be compassionate and not judgmental of an individual who may say that… is probably one of the biggest steps that an individual can take.” 

Michele Lee, associate area director of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Massachusetts, wrote in an email that imposing restrictions of access to means of suicide is progress.

“Any measure to do so is helpful in reducing the rate,” Lee wrote. “It’s also important to educate the public on signs of a mental health crisis and putting time between a person’s way of ending their end and getting the mental health help they need and deserve.” 

Veronica Kelly, 21, of Kenmore said she supports the initiative and is glad the city is taking action.

“I think that the recent suicides that have happened are really sad,” Kelly said. “And I think the city should be trying to protect its residents.”

Olivia Cohen, 24, of Brighton said she thinks the initiative is well intended, but the focus could be placed at earlier points of prevention.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction,” Cohen said. “But preventative action has to start at the source, so the most effective way to combat suicide, in my opinion, is to start with empathy and to start with making access to mental health care more accessible and fighting to go against the stigma.”