Lacrosse, Sports

Terriers steamroll Hartford Hawks with 22-4 Win

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team completed a strong weekend on Sunday with a 22-4 win against University of Hartford at Nickerson field to end their three-home-game series. 

The Terriers (2-1) scored 13 goals in the first half and never looked back as they steamrolled the Hawks (0-2).

Despite BU head coach Lauren Morton stating “the three games in five days was a tough turnaround,” the Terriers showed no signs of fatigue against Hartford.

Terrier sophomore attack Hannah Kenneally netted a goal only 14 seconds into the first half to give the Terriers the lead.

Junior attack Makenzie Irvine continued her three-game scoring streak as she scored BU’s second goal of the game

The ball was soon buried in the back of the net by another Terrier, with junior attack Ava Barry recording her fourth goal of the season and first of the game as BU continued its offensive attack. 

Senior attack Kailey Conry from BU assisted all three early goals from the Terriers and went on to assist four more goals, scoring two goals of her own to earn a nine-point day.

Morton said Conry’s success, along with other stand-out players, this season is a result of the “multi-dimensional offense” and expecting “everyone to score” and “everyone to feed.” 

The Terrier’s added another goal scorer to the mix with junior midfielder Emily Vervlied scoring her first goal of the afternoon. 

Conry pulled out another behind the net shot to score BU’s eighth unanswered goal to take a commanding lead over the Hawks.

After Conry’s goal, Hartford got their first draw control of the afternoon that led to their first goal scored by the Hawks junior attack Birdie Montes. 

The first BU freshman of the afternoon scored when midfielder Jennifer Barry netted a goal assisted by Conry. 

On top of several successful draw controls throughout the first period, senior midfielder Lexi Lewis eventually got her name on the board, bringing the Terriers score into double digits. 

The Terrier’s attempted several more shots but all were saved by the Hawks sophomore goalkeeper Emma Privitera.

Freshman attack Lauren Kaye continued her streak of scoring in every game with a hat trick late in the first period, widening the lead in favor of the Terriers, 13-1. By the end of the first half, shots on goal were in favor of BU, 23-2. 

The Hawks started the second half with freshman midfielder Shannon Tuozzo finding the back of the net for the first time this game.

Terriers senior midfielder Mackenzie Howe recorded her first shot on goal for the afternoon but it was quickly saved by Privetara. Less than 10 seconds later, her second attempt to score was successful with her first goal of the game. 

BU continued its dominance in the second half with new faces getting on the board and veteran scorers continuing to make a statement. 

BU sophomore attack Alexandra Hark fired her first shot of the game that slipped through Privetera resulting in her first goal of the game, while Conry got another piece of the action with another assist. Hark added another to her record minutes later for her second of the season.

Terrier freshman goalkeeper Arielle Hammer replaced sophomore goalie Kennady Smith at around the halfway point of the second half and allowed a goal to Hawks sophomore midfielder Jessica Harrison. 

Several Terriers recorded their first goal of the season in the second half including junior attack Bridget McCarthy, sophomore attack Caroline Pinho and sophomore midfielder Maddie MacMaster. 

Morton said games like these are an opportunity for everyone on the field to get in on the action.

“It was a great opportunity,” Morton said. “We were able to get everyone in and it gives people some game experience.” 

The Terriers and the Hawks ended the game netting goals late in the second half, with MacMaster squeezing past several Hawks to net her second of the afternoon, while Tuozzo added her second as well. 

With an end score of 22-4, the Terriers fell just one goal short of their single-game scoring record, which was tied last season against American University.

Boston University hits the road for their first road game next Saturday against Dartmouth College (1-0), which just knocked off No. 13 University of Massachusetts Amherst Saturday.

Morton said Dartmouth provides a good test for her team.

“Dartmouth is a great opponent and they had a great start to their season,” Morton said. “It provides another challenge being on the road. How can we maintain our focus and the job we’re there to do?”