Benefit concert series celebrates 20 years of fundraising for Boston nonprofits

A Boston-based benefit concert series is in its 20th year of raising money for local non-profits. Since its launch in 2000, Hot Stove Cool Music has fundraised almost $12 million for disadvantaged youth in Greater Boston.

Paradise Rock Club in Allston hosted the annual HSCM benefit concert on Feb. 8 to raise money for the Foundation To Be Named Later, a charity organization it merged with in 2005.

Female supergroup Band Of Their Own perform at the 20th Annual Hot Stove Cool Music concert Feb. 8 to raise money for the charity Foundation To Be Named Later. COURTESY BRITA MENG OUTZEN

Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein founded FTBNL with his twin brother Paul Epstein to raise funds for non-profit agencies that serve children and teenagers in metropolitan Boston through special community events.

FTBNL CEO Allyce Najimy wrote in an email that HSCM’s music show is the organization’s signature event. The organization raised more than $300,000 at its 20th anniversary celebration concert, which Najimy wrote exceeded all expectations.

“During Hot Stove Cool Music, we always have the most fun and try to do the most good and this year was no different,” Najimy wrote. “[The money will] help send deserving young people who have overcome tremendous obstacles, have a proven dedication to community service and have high financial needs to the college of their choice, armed with a mentor and a plan for success.”

The benefit concert series has enabled FTBNL to award 150 scholarships to low-income or otherwise disadvantaged students attending college. Its Peter Gammons Scholarship endows adolescents who have faced hurdles such as homelessness, violence and cancer, among other challenges.

“The many [Major League Baseball] stars and talented musicians all donate their time and talent to make a difference,” Najimy wrote. “We could not do it without the sponsors, ticket buyers and generous volunteers.”

With around 900 seats and at least $50 a ticket, the Paradise Rock Club venue sold out for this year’s HSCM event.

Hosted by actor Mike O’Malley and retired Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis, the night included performances from a series of alternative ‘90s rock musicians such as Tanya Donelly, Gail Greenwood and headliner Letters to Cleo.

One beneficiary of FTBNL’s funding is Steps to Success, an educational achievement program in Brookline providing support services to households of low-income students.

STS Executive Director Shoma Haque wrote in an email that FTBNL was the founding funder of STS’ Mentoring Program, which pairs high school and college students with professional mentors.

“The Foundation To Be Named Later has been a tremendously generous partner to Steps to Success over the years,” Haque wrote. “FBTNL has been critical to our mission, and we are so grateful for their presence in Brookline.”

FTBNL has also helped fund STS’s Student Support Fund, Haque wrote, which aims to ensure small emergency expenses do not bar students from meeting their educational goals.

Roxbury Youthworks Inc. is another local non-profit whose work has been funded by FTBNL, Executive Director Mia Alvarado wrote in an email.

“The donations [allow] us to provide core trainings and professional development opportunities for our staff,” Alvarado said. “Having a staff that is educated in subject matters that are pertinent to our youth and young adults helps us serve them more effectively.”

Jake Giordano, 18, of the Theater District said non-profits like these are important for children whose parents cannot provide them as many opportunities as their peers might have.

“Fundraisers, specifically those that help children, teenagers and their families, are important,” Giordano said, “because kids should need support to facilitate positive growth, both physically and mentally.”

Lily Weber, 18, of Kenmore said she likely would not have attended HSCM’s benefit concert had she been aware of it, because the $50 minimum ticket price is discouraging.

“Despite this, I do believe in the importance of fundraisers such as this one to the Boston community,” Weber said. “It’s invaluable for communities to recognize their own faults and work together towards finding solutions.”