Lacrosse, Sports

BU Women’s Lacrosse Edges Out Fairfield University 14-12 in Midweek Matchup

Senior midfielder Mackenzie Howe, shown in the Feb. 14 game against Niagara University, scored the game-winning goal with five minutes left in Boston University’s 14-12 victory over Fairfield University Tuesday. RACHEL SHARPLES/ DFP FILE

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team was tested in its closest game of the season on the road against the Fairfield University, but came out victorious with a 14-12 win. 

The Terriers (3-2) used a 7-1 scoring run and a late goal from senior midfielder Mackenzie Howe to outlast the Stags (1-4) at Rafferty Stadium.

The Stags started the first half with energy and dominated the early goings, sinking four goals within the first 10 minutes, while the Terriers only found the back of the net once during this span. 

Fairfield junior attack Kelly Horning was a dominant force in these first 10 minutes, scoring three of the first four goals. The Terriers’ one goal from this stretch was from freshman midfielder Claire Gola. 

After a timeout called by BU, sophomore midfielder Maddie MacMaster hit her stride with two goals in less than thirty seconds. The Stags were quick to answer with Horning also finding the back of the net two times, extending Fairfield’s lead to 6-3.

The Terriers were able to chip away at the Stags’ lead with junior attack Ava Barry slipping past several defenders to cut the lead to two. 

After getting knocked down by a Fairfield player, BU senior midfielder Lexi Lewis was awarded a free position shot that was successful.

The physicality of the game was evident throughout the match with a yellow card being given to the Stags in the first half and numerous fouls being called on both sides. The second period saw the same action with another yellow card being given to the Stags and more fouls being given to each team. 

The Terriers ended the first half with just a one-goal lead over the Stags with a last-minute goal from junior defender Nicole Foringer. 

The depth of the Terriers’ team was highlighted in the first half with seven different goal scorers getting on the board. Two additional goal scorers added to that total in the second half. 

BU head coach Lauren Morton said everyone on the team has the ability to score, no matter their position on the field.  

“That’s something we emphasized in the beginning of the season, the mindset of being a goalscorer,” Morton said. 

The Terriers and Stags continued to battle it out with goals being scored by both teams well into the second period. 

Freshman attack Lauren Kaye got BU on the board with a shot past a group of defenders early in the second period, while junior attack Mackenzie Irvine fired a shot to the middle of the net after an assist from Gola to extend the lead to three. 

Morton said the Terriers’ game plan was to shut out Horning late into the second half and let other players do damage.

“[Horning] did a great job and we wanted to shut her down towards the middle of the second half,” Morton said. “We were able to get some stops and really limit her, which helped.” 

BU’s strategy was successful as Horning only scored one goal four minutes into the second period off a free position shot after scoring five in the first half. 

Despite Horning not finding the back of the net for the Stags late in the match, the Stags were able to keep pressuring the Terriers. 

Fairfield graduate attack Monika Sivilli slipped one past BU sophomore goalkeeper Kennady Smith. With a free position shot from Stag sophomore attack Cameryn Dera, the game was tied up again at 10-10. 

Another free position shot from the Stags was successful with junior midfielder Jillian Winwood sinking her first and only shot of the afternoon. 

The Terriers’ constant fight for possession and dominance was evident throughout the match with players like Howe taking on defenders one-on-one and eventually finding the back of the net, tying up the game once again at the 18:04 mark in the second half. 

BU senior attack Kailey Conry gave the Terriers the lead with her first goal of the game less than two minutes later.

Goalkeepers from both teams began to dominate the match late in the second period, resulting in a seven minute scoring drought until Fairfield tied up the match at 12 goals each with a goal from junior midfielder Diana DeVita.

Howe then scored her second goal of the game, shooting the ball right into the middle of the net with five minutes left in the second period, giving the Terriers the lead. 

The Terriers solidified their win when Conry found the back of the net for the second time of the afternoon with 27 seconds left in the game. 

BU will be back in action against Harvard University (1-2) March 4 at Nickerson Field with faceoff slated for 5 p.m. 

Morton stressed that the Crimson will present a challenge for her squad, but remains confident in the Terrier’s preparation. 

“We’ve worked on smaller fundamental skills and I think that’s allowed everyone to develop,” Morton said. “We just need to have that same mindset heading into Harvard. Harvard’s always a tough game.”

More Articles

Comments are closed.