Arts & Entertainment, Lifestyle, Pop Culture

I played “Among Us” for the first time

My boredom has been on an upward trend these past few days. I’m getting tired of the show I’m currently binging, I can’t hang out with my friends as much because midterm season is coming back and, well, we’re in the middle of a pandemic.

So, I started playing this new game called “Among Us” last week, and to say I’m addicted would be an understatement.

If you’re not already familiar with the game, “Among Us” is really similar to the in-person game “Mafia.”

Crewmates who are trying to prepare their spaceship for launch are required to do various tasks. However, there are impostors on the ship who are trying to sabotage and kill you. If you’re a crewmate, your goal is to make sure your spaceship takes off before you all die and if you’re an impostor, you’ve just gotta kill everyone. 

You’re allowed to vote out whoever you think is suspicious. This usually happens when you report a dead body or if you click the red button in the middle of the cafeteria to call an emergency meeting. 

I played this game for the first time around a week ago and enjoyed the hell out of myself. I was a crewmate and tried to complete all my tasks, but I died about three minutes into the game, which was really sad, but honestly worth it because we were victorious in the end.

The first time I played as an impostor was exhilarating, to say the least. My heart was about to explode from my chest and I got labeled “sus” way too fast. They discussed, kicked me out and I felt super defeated for the next hour or so.

I wouldn’t necessarily label myself as an expert at being the impostor right now because I certainly still get anxiety attacks every single time I find out my task is to kill everyone, but I’ve gotten slightly better. 

Here’s the thing: impostors are able to go into vents after they kill someone and it is crucial to use this to your advantage. However, there are security cameras everywhere, so if you decide to vent in front of one, a crewmate could easily spot you. You also have to make sure you don’t vent out one room and into the other and let a camera pick you up — that’s risky.

All the action usually happens in three rooms: electrical, security and medbay — each one having vents. If you find nobody is watching the cameras in security, you can easily vent to either location with minimal chances of getting caught.

But, you should beware of navigation. I find half of the dead bodies there and there’s a vent in the corner. 

I’m completely aware I went into full gamer mode for a hot minute and I’m not too proud of that because I’ve never seen myself as a gamer. But, “Among Us” is insanely fun, even if you’re not typically into things like that. You get to play with your friends and have a live chat or just play with strangers around the world. 

Give it a shot. It’s free everywhere except on your laptop. You’ll also be able to understand the countless memes on Instagram that reference this game if you start playing. 

I also want to end on this note: isn’t it funny how, at the beginning of quarantine, the world was obsessed with an adorable game about building pretty islands and inviting friends over and now, we’re all playing something that involves murdering as many people as possible? 

Cute, right? 

Anyway, I’m gonna go play “Among Us” now.