Philosophical Soup: Fear of the unknown

Why do I fear spiders? And what does that have to do with the fear of the unknown?

I specifically don’t like hairy spiders because they freak me out. Their creepy crawly legs, numerous eyes and tickly hair create a bone-chilling combination.

Regardless, my fear of spiders is not so far-reaching that I don’t understand the creature’s purpose. Spiders still have value in their contribution to the environment, and I certainly do not fear them so much so that I want to wipe them out entirely. I just don’t like them being near me, generally.

Max Ferrandino

I also don’t like crabs, which I consider to be sea spiders with claws. Yet interestingly, I don’t mind lobsters, which are also freaky.

Maybe it’s because I see lobsters much more frequently than I see crabs. If you live in New England, lobsters are all around us, especially at local fish markets. It could be this exposure, or it could even be because I got clawed by a crab when I was a kid, and now I’m wary of their pincers every time I see them.

How does the environment that surrounds us influence our fears? Had I grown up in Australia, where there are huge spiders, I would probably be less afraid of them. In the same vein, had I grown up in North Carolina, where there are many crabs, I might be less freaked out by them.

By extension, if I were less afraid of spiders and crabs, would I be different as a person?

Consider those who fear heights or small enclosed spaces. There are clear examples of situations and experiences you would never try. A person afraid of heights would be unlikely to try bungee jumping.

Similarly, I alter my behavior when I go to the beach. I always wear shoes when I go swimming — partly because I don’t like the slimy rocks, but mostly because I don’t want to get my toes clawed by a crab. How much of this is irrational, and how much of it is self-preservation?

If I were to get clawed in the toe by a crab, I think the worst thing that would happen is I would get a cut from the pincers. If it were a huge crab with massive claws I might lose a toe, but I imagine that scenario would be unlikely.

Yvonne Tang/DFP STAFF

However, I would probably enjoy bungee jumping and do enjoy roller coasters, and it’s safe to say I am not afraid of heights. These fears, often labeled as irrational, are subjective and vary from person to person.

There is at least one universal fear: death. I say this not only because there is an abundance of religious and philosophical work dealing with what happens after death, but also because it encompasses the larger philosophy behind fears as a whole — the fear of the unknown.

Part of the reason I am afraid of hairy spiders instead of Daddy Long Legs is because I have seen very few hairy spiders in my lifetime — just as I have seen fewer crabs than lobsters.

The fear of heights or small spaces is more complex than the fear of certain animals, but it too can go back to the concept of the unknown. For example, if you’re up so high that you can’t see the bottom clearly, that could certainly terrify you. In essence, you feel trapped. Your fears could justifiably cause you to avoid small and high spaces, and this lack of exposure would make it even more unfamiliar and unwelcoming to you.

Any fear you have is valid, even if others may see it as irrational. A fear of heights is not more valid than a fear of spiders, and vice versa. Each phobia alters the way you live your life in profound ways.

To make the unknown known will mitigate your fear, and exposing yourself to what you fear will help you manage it. I speak in part from personal experience — this was how I overcame my fear of the dark: I exposed myself to this unknown, and it lost its power.

Exposure to what you fear is not a cure-all. It is difficult to get over your fears. I, for instance, do not plan on getting a pet spider anytime soon, to manage my fears.

I am, however, advocating for you to step out of your comfort zone. If you are afraid of spiders like I am, maybe have a staring contest with the tarantula at the local pet store. It may make the unknown slightly more familiar and a little less scary.