Lifestyle

The warmth that comfort characters can bring

Every avid reader has probably imagined falling into the world of their books at least once in their lives.

We’ve all imagined that moment in which we’re transported into a new reality of morally grey enemies, magical creatures and newfound powers — and we’ve all definitely imagined meeting our favorite characters. It would be by chance. Sheer coincidence. You’d tell them you’re from a far off land. They’d ask if you’d like to come along on their journey. And just like that, you’re with your favorite comfort character that you thought you’d only ever meet through the pages.

As a reader myself, I know firsthand that there’s something about connecting with a character to the point we find a comfort that is unimaginable in our own realities. We latch on to those who we can relate to the most or the ones we want to be like. Many times they bring a certain nostalgia — others are simply the ideal version of a friend or significant other we’d like to have. Simply thinking about them brings a solace that is indescribable, like having friends that are forever unchanging.

Kacper Bazan / DFP Staff

Here are four examples of comfort characters that mean all of this to me and more.

Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables

Of all female characters that are known for their love for reading or their great imagination, I find Anne from Avonlea to be one of the most lasting and never-changing female figures that is often overlooked. There is a timelessness about Anne — the young orphan arrives in Prince Edward Island and finds a community she never had, all the while making mistakes and learning new things along the way.

As a 10 year old reading the books, I wished to be like Anne. Her big words and great imagination were impressive, and I would have loved to have her bravery and outspokenness. At 19, not much has changed. Anne’s boldness and her ability to fall in love with life is something I still strive to have. There’s a satisfaction to know such optimism can be found in us, even after a time of despair.

Percy Jackson from Percy Jackson & the Olympians

I don’t think there was anything I wanted more in life than to be an Olympian in middle school. Growing up alongside Percy’s heroic journey, there’s a certain nostalgia of waiting for each book to come out to see where he would take us next. As a “troubled” kid with ADHD, dyslexia and an often overlooked rough childhood, many aspects of Percy’s double life were relatable to a youth audience that repeatedly returned for his fierce loyalty and awkward social skills. As a proud owner of almost all of Rick Riordan’s books, I find myself coming back to his story once in a while, just to be reminded of the journey I followed for years. There was no more exciting news last year than the announcement of a Percy Jackson series coming to Disney+ soon.

Ove from A Man Called Ove

Fredrik Backman is an author of his own genre and “comfort” is a good name for it. As an old man who is ready to let death happen, Ove is basically a Scandinavian version of Carl from “Up.” While his story is not as adventurous, Ove’s mundane life as the grump next door is similarly changed when a new family moves next door and ruins his day-to-day pattern. He’s a bit rude and not very social but your love for him will sneak up on you because at the end of the day, he is truthful and rational. Every time I read about Ove, I found myself wishing I’d carry his consistency and honesty with me, even as I grow older. The entire book is a special comfort, a reminder that life is never ready to give up on you, even if you’re ready to give up on it.

Ronald Weasley from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

The Harry Potter series involves another insanely popular world that brings many people comfort, but there’s an underrated complexity to Ron that I find myself thinking of often. The smart sidekick or the only girl of three boys would often outweigh the comic relief. But unlike Hermione or Harry himself, Ron reminds me of the realistic roles in books — that many times we are not the hero we’d like to think we are, but instead the best friend. There’s an unbreakable bond but also the presence of envy, insecurities and an emotional honesty that is rare within characters but can be seen in Ron, who remains to this day the heart of a very iconic trio.

At the end of the day, you’ll probably have to admit to your new friend that the far off land you’re from is actually a different dimension, and you have to go back. They’ll be disappointed, but will help you find the portal you need. They’ll hesitate as you prepare to leave. As you say goodbye, your bedroom book nook just visible on the other side, they’ll wrap you up in a big hug and make you promise to return.

And you will. In any way you can. Through the pages or the screen — you’ll find your way back home.