Lifestyle, Orientation 2022, Photo

GALLERY: Must-see places in Boston

From stunning city views to relaxing parks, Boston has something for everyone. When you get the chance, venture off Comm. Ave. and take in all that Boston has to offer. Even beyond the main city, there are small towns and districts worth exploring. Here is a run-down of the 15 places that you must see during your time in Boston.

Boston Common

Boston Common
In the center of the city lies Boston Common. Its sprawling lawns are the perfect place to have a picnic and soak up the sun. There you can grab a hot dog, admire the view from the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, play with dogs at the open-leash dog park and go ice skating at the Frog Pond during the winter. Accessible via Boylston or Park Street station on the Green Line. SAM BETSKO/DFP STAFF

Boston Public Garden

Boston Public Garden
Just across the street from the Common, next to Arlington station, is the Boston Public Garden. Littered with majestic willow trees, beautiful flower arrangements and cheerful buskers, the Public Garden is a great place to destress with a peaceful stroll. Take a ride on the Swan Boats and check out the George Washington statue. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill
Right next to the Boston Common and Public Garden and a short walk from Park Street station is the Beacon Hill neighborhood. This quaint residential area is lined with rustic brownstone homes straight out of a rom-com. Wander through this neighborhood to see the iconic Acorn Street (pictured) or check out Charles Street for boutique stores and restaurants. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Fenway Park

Fenway Park
An iconic Boston landmark and a must-see for baseball fans is Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox. Right by Kenmore station, Fenway Park is extremely close to the Boston University campus! Head down there for a game day and see the entire area come alive with food vendors and people decked out with their Red Sox pride. ELIZA NUESTRO/DFP STAFF

Commonwealth Avenue Mall

Commonwealth Avenue Mall
Nestled between two rows of brownstones, the Commonwealth Avenue Mall is a straight, mile-long path that will lead you from Massachusetts Ave to the Boston Public Garden. Comm Ave Mall is a great place to run and admire fall colors and brownstones. You can get there from Hynes Convention Center station, or take a 15 minute walk from BU’s East Campus. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Newbury Street

Newbury Street
Running parallel to Commonwealth Avenue Mall is Newbury Street – one of the best places for shopping and dining in Boston. It runs from Hynes Convention Center station to Arlington Station, and houses shops like UNIQLO, Nike, ZARA, H&M, and plenty of restaurants and cafes. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library
If you want to make studying for finals a little less torturous, the Boston Public Library is your friend. The Public Library is conveniently located next to Copley station and houses stunning architecture and millions of books. Bates Hall (pictured) and the McKim Courtyard are must-sees. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Charles River Esplanade

Charles River Esplanade
Cross the bridge going over the Storrow Drive highway from the BU Beach, to walk along the Charles River. Walk further east, and you’ll reach the Charles River Esplanade, a riverside park with a stunning view. A long stretch of green with the river on one side and the city on the other, the Esplanade is not like any other park. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Chinatown

Chinatown gate
In downtown Boston, by Boylston station, is Chinatown. Here, you’ll have your pick of various Asian cuisines such as Chinese, Japanese, and Thai food. Check out the Chinatown gate (pictured) while you’re there. HUI-EN LIN/DFP STAFF

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Fanueil Hall Marketplace
Just a five minute walk from Government Center station, Faneuil Hall Marketplace is a great place to shop and eat. The area contains Faneuil Hall Visitor Center, Quincy Market, and North and South Market. Constantly bustling and a tourist hot-spot, this is a great place to pick up Boston souvenirs. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

North End

North End
Also known as Little Italy, the North End is Boston’s Italian district. Spend an afternoon exploring its nooks and crannies, treat yourself to a classic Italian dinner, and admire the romantic brick shophouses. While you’re there, visit the historical Paul Revere House and Old North Church. CLARE ONG/DFP STAFF

Seaport District

Seaport district
Known for its seafood, picturesque piers, and nightlife, the Seaport District is one of the most modern and sleek parts of this historical city. While you’re there, check out the Institute of Contemporary Art, Fan Pier Park, and in December, the Snowport Holiday Market. Accessible via South Station T-stop. HAIYI BI/DFP STAFF

Cambridge – Harvard Square

Harvard Square
Home to Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge is a quiet college town across the river. Get off at Harvard station on the Red Line to see Harvard Square, the plaza in the heart of town. Check out its small shops, cafes and bookstores to forget about the big city for a day. MAGGIE WEN/DFP STAFF

Brookline

Brookline Coolidge
A short walk from West Campus lies the charming town of Brookline. Check out the retro Coolidge Corner movie theater, Brookline Booksmith bookstore, Buffalo Exchange thrift store, and the various small parks littered around the neighborhood. ELIZA NUESTRO/DFP STAFF

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
This Venetian-style art museum is right next to the Museum of Fine Arts and Longwood Medical station. Its courtyard (pictured) houses a beautiful garden and is a great place for pictures. Tickets are discounted for university students, and free for anyone named Isabella! ANNIE MAYNE/DFP STAFF